Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
Dzisiaj jest czw sty 18, 2018 2:01 am

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 17 ]  Przejdź na stronę 1, 2  Następna
Autor Wiadomość
 Tytuł: Tutorial: making a BFAS terrain set
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Translated from the original in Dutch.

For the magnificent By Fire and Sword game, some scenarios require some specific pieces of terrain. You can create those ad hoc, but I prefer to create fixed pieces as they are much easier to make into visually attractive pieces. The Wargamer By Fire and Sword range contains a lot of very nice buildings and other terrain pieces that are custom made for this period. However, for this project I also created a number of pieces that are usable for other periods and scales. I planned to create the following:

1. Encampment
2. Birch tree groves
3. Wheat field
4. Small waterpool
5. Village
6. Hills

Below is a view of the very first beginning: preparing 4mm MDF bases, flattening the edges with a Stanley knife and sanding them smooth.

Obrazek

It was also necessary to clean the BFAS resin products (not the most convenient type of resin btw) before I could glue and paint them. I used an old toothbrush to get into tight corners:

Obrazek

Finally, I painted all the undersides of the bases with the standard brown latex I bought in a big bucket. This prevents the bases to warp from the paint and glue that will go on top.

1. Encampment

I built this tent encampment with the idea of using it as the two areas for the Foraging scenario, so scaled them at 20x20cm each. Unfortunately, I misread the scenario (it being one of the few scenarios that has never come up during my own games) and didn't notice that the 20x20cm areas need to be clear of any obstacles. Too bad, but it still looks good. Combined, they can still be used as the basis for the Night Attack scenario. Of course, the encampment can still be used as an indivdual terrain pieces during regular other scenarios.

Obrazek

The tents have been placed in such a way that a 4cm broad BFAS base can fit in between. I also had an Italeri 1/72 camp fire left that goes well here. Finally, I wanted to create the paths in between in such a way that they fit the Hotz Mats roads I recently received.

Obrazek
Obrazek

The tents were painted with 300ml tubes of acrylic paint you can buy at a regular arts and crafts store. This paint is a bit coarse, but its much more easy and cheaper to use than wargames model paint.

Obrazek

To finish them of, I added a couple of BFAS ammunition wagons. Those tents have to be carried somehow!

Obrazek
Obrazek

2. Birch tree groves

I associate Eastern European and especially Russian countryside with birch trees. For BFAS I could of course also use my existing collection of fir or deciduous trees, but those are meant for Cold War or WW2 and are not as accessible to 4cm broad BFAS bases. Thats why I created two 'light groves' that are still reasonably accessible to troops.

Obrazek

The birch trees themselves were from Heki. The bushes were made by glueing several layers of thick flock on top of each other.

Obrazek

These kinds of model trees are very vulnerable to shedding their foliage during gaming. The bushes made of different layers of flock were also not very sturdy. That's why I sprayed the finished forest bases with a 50/50 mix of white or PVA glue and water with a plant sprayer (spray it clean with pure water afterwards). It has to dry for a while and it might take some time before all the little white clumps of paint dry up transparently, but it all makes the forest very strong and durable, whilst you don't even notice it.

It also strengthens the bushes.

Obrazek

3. Wheat field

The grain stacks from the BFAS range me the idea of making a field that was in the process of being harvested before the tranquility of village life was disturbed by a foraging skirmish party. In BFAS this piece will count as a combination of a 'wheat field' and a 'ploughed field'. The wheat field itself started out as a piece of cocos doormat that was glued to the MDF base. The furrows in the ground were made by drawing thin lines with a PVA or white glue bottle (in two layers), on which I then glued the resin grain stacks. Next, the ploughed field was painted with structure paint (latex with sand mixed in) and with just my standard brown latex on the edge of the base.

Obrazek

When everything was painted, I glued on some spare cocos fibres to imitate grain laying on the ground.

Obrazek

4. Waterpool

An easy way to make an impenetrable obstacle and fill some table space is a waterpool. I made the raised edges by glueing (again, two layers) on a lot of PVA/white glue.

Obrazek
Obrazek

After I painted the edge with brown latex, I painted the water surface: a mix of dark grey and dark green, finished off by a layer of gloss varnish. A second layer of gloss varnish was added in concentric circles so that they mirrored waves. The cherry on top was a trio of ducks from the Tatar Jasyr prisoner set.

Obrazek

5. Village

A village in BFAS can be between 20x20cm and 30x30cm big, has to contain 2-3 buildings and be surrounded by a fence. On top of that I wanted my village to be compatible with the felt Hotz Mats road system I recently bought. Within those parameters I came up with the following:

Obrazek

The wattle-and-daub fence was made by sticking cocktail skewers into holes in the MDF base and then weaving in thin metal wire. The wooden fence is from BFAS itself.

Obrazek
Obrazek

In addition, two of the houses received a little patch of cultivated land with the same method as the wheat field. I also added one of the water wells from the BFAS set.

Obrazek

Its always tricky to find the right colour for both the wooden houses and the straw roofs. By habit, many people paint wooden items a standard brown and the straw roof yellow. But actually, treated construction wood is almost never brown and straw roofs quickly turn dirty grey or green.

In the end, I mixed up a sort of grey-brown colour for the two similar houses and a green-yellowy colour for the roofs. The other house is a pure grey and I gave it some fresh yellow thatch after all. Its not entirely accurate, but it looks very nice.

Obrazek
Obrazek

Just like all pieces, the village received some spring green static grass that exactly matches my playing surface. I also added some Silflor tufts and flowers and some flock.

Obrazek

Finally, the whole thing was brought to life with more stuff from the Tatar Jasyr set: a cow, some ducks and a mother with child.

Obrazek
Obrazek

6. Hills

For use in BFAS, I also added some tufts and flock to a set of Kallistra hills I bought at Crisis, Antwerp for only 20 Euro's. They need these tufts placed at strategic places so that the smooth BFAS bases (metal or plastic) don't slide of so easily. You can see the hills in this overview of everything put together:

Obrazek

The Hotz Mats river you can see here has to have a ford added and I'm still waiting on my Renedra plastic bridge to arrive. Then the terrain set will be 100% complete.

Final result

Here's another overview that includes some extra details I added later, such as primarily the BFAS Roadside Shrines and the Hotz Mats roads layed out and in use:

Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek

Here are also the BFAS forage markers that can be used as objectives during different scenario's.

Obrazek

Finally, for some scenario's it's necessary to scout or control certain points on the field. Especially where control of these can change sides, its convenient to show this with a marker. What better way than to literally plant a flag? This is where some doubles of certain banner sets (I recommend everyone order the extra banner sets for their armies) came in handy.

Obrazek

That was it! It was a Christmas holiday well spent. The nice thing is that many pieces are also usable for my Cold War collection. Also, the villages could easily be used for WW2 Eastern Front in both 15 and 20mm.

In any case, I hope to have done justice to the beautiful Wargamer.pl terrain range.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
 Tytuł: Re: Tutorial: making a BFAS terrain set
Sekretarz królewski/Royal secretary

Amazing job Rutger!

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Nicely done. I have started down that same path. Just not as nice as yours. :D

http://knightrecoil.blogspot.com
http://peasantpartisan.blogspot.com

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

well done great work ...hope to is more to come .. :)

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Very nice tutorial :)

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Komisarz królewski/Royal commissar
Awatar użytkownika

I lost my jaw. It dropped somewhere...

Odpowiedz z cytatem