Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
Dzisiaj jest czw lip 19, 2018 7:44 am

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 6 ] 
Autor Wiadomość
 Tytuł: Tutorial: making a BFAS gaming table
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Another terrain project to support my games of the awesome By Fire and Sword rules.

I've had a couple of model train grass mats lying around for years, unused. They've been rolled up, so woulnd't lie flat of their own volition and their size of 80x100 cm meant that they were too small for a proper game of either SAGA or BFAS. So, I'd been thinking them of glueing them to a surface for a while, but wasn't sure how or why.

Then I came up with the idea of turning them into a dedicated deluxe BFAS gaming table.

I bought two sheets of 65x110 MDF of 8mm thickness, a (dirt cheap) plate of 4mm MDF of which I had parts sown into 5cm wide strips, a lot of hinges, screws, nuts and bolts and off I went:

Obrazek

I cut the two grassmats into 60x100cm's, so when combined, I would have 120x100cm's of surface. That meant that there would be 5cm of bare MDF left surrounding the outer sides of the table. On this edge, I drilled holes and attached the big hinges, so that the two MDF plates would now fold together.

Then I sawed up the 5cm MDF strips into the proper shapes for making a foldable screen for keeping your command tokens:

Obrazek

This was then attached to the table with more hinges, so it can lie flat during storage or transport:

Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek

Then I glued on the grassmats, which turned out to be a very tricky job, because it was very challenging to keep the mats perfectly lined up with the side of the MDF plates, where they would align, whilst adding glue and making sure the damn things didn't curl up. In the end, it required most of the heavy historical tomes and atlasses from my book collection, but it worked out more or less satisfactorily.

After this most tricky stage, I added some fixed measurements to the table, in the form of that red and white fields right next to the grassmats:

Obrazek

The red squares on the edges are 20cm long and the white squares are 60cm together. So that easily lets you start your BFAS scenario's very quickly. (I also added a couple of markings to indicate the three L lenghts that constitutes a SAGA table).

To camouflage the command marker screens, I went in search of suitable images of forests. Once I'd found two of these, I resized them, printed them, glued them on pieces of cardboard and then glued them onto the screens. Because of the width of the hinges, the thick cardboard on which the images are glued, don't stop the screens from folding down completely flat:

Obrazek

Once this was all done, I drilled a few holes into the sides of the table, through which I looped two pieces of canvas cord, to serve as carry handles. Folded up, the table can now be carried comfortably in one hand. It's not heavy, but you can definitely only transport it in a car, not on a bycicle, which used to be a condition for my previous terrain projects:

Obrazek

To finish it all off, I glued some proud markings onto the table:

Obrazek

That's it. Pretty simple in the end, even though it cost a bit more in raw materials (expensive, all those hinges) and took a while longer than planned.

Now, to actually play a first game on this, together with the terrain set I created earlier. :D

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
 Tytuł: Re: Tutorial: making a BFAS gaming table
Sekretarz królewski/Royal secretary

Great job!

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

I love it!

http://knightrecoil.blogspot.com
http://peasantpartisan.blogspot.com

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Fajne dzięki swojej prostocie :). Ma tylko jeden potencjalny feler - te rozkładane cosie na tokeny mogą kaleczyć matę w czasie transportu.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Looks like a great project! And I like the token holders!

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Impressive :)

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 6 ] 

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]