Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
Dzisiaj jest pn paź 16, 2017 11:48 pm

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 25 ]  Przejdź na stronę Poprzednia  1, 2, 3
Autor Wiadomość
 Tytuł: Re: Suggested reading (in English)
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower
Awatar użytkownika

Anyone read this book? Is it suitable for us?
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/1117769 ... 1_1&sr=8-1

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Fältherren
Awatar użytkownika

It looks like a reprint of Of the Russe Common Wealth… by Giles Fletcher, that was written in 1591, so slightly earlier stuff. Interesting but does not exactly referr to Muscovite military from second half of 17th century.
I posted examples of my Polish translation of it on my blog:
http://kadrinazi.blogspot.co.uk/search/ ... 20Wealth...

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Thank you Kadrinazi. I quite like you blog. Sadly everything is in Polish so i have to use Google-Translate to read it. That i learn Polish for over a year now doesn't help much. Most of the sentences are still pretty much guesswork as i still don't have the necessary vocabulary :( Even if i know all the words the meaning of some of the sentences still eludes me as the choice of words and placement in the sentence is often pretty different as i'm used to in German and English to express the same :D

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

One book that I find quiet useful in terms of visualizing the historical setting is "Husaria Rzeczpospolitej" by Radoslaw Sikora and Radoslaw Szleszynski.
Although the title of the book is usually written as per above, in Polish, it is actually written in Polish, French and English. (same text is repeated in all three)

The book's topic is the Hussars (which as a topic has been overdone to death) but it does provide a rich source of historical images.
This is mainly a picture/large format book, and is full of historical paintings and primary source accounts. (mostly hussar related and from 16th century to 18th century)

What I really liked about it is that it contains a large number of zooms in of historical paintings and images, including most of the famous ones.
For example, there are 24 pages of images covering Stockholm scrolls, multiple portraits of famous Poles, images of tombstone reliefs including that of battle of Berestechko on the tomb of the heart of Jan Casimir Vasa. Lots of images in one place.

Obviously not all of them would apply to the By Fire and Sword period but I thought the book gives a good flavor of the Polish Commonwealth.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Memoirs of the Polish Baroque: The Writings of Jan Chryzostom Pasek, a Squire of the Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania is a University of California translation printed in 1980. Jan Pasek's writing is mentioned in the Danish Wars supplement, and I was able to find a copy without breaking the bank from Amazon (ISBN-13: 978-0520027527). There are a few more listed in stock from various affiliate sellers for anyone wishing to expand their library. :)

Thucydides 5.9.9

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 25 ]  Przejdź na stronę Poprzednia  1, 2, 3

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]