Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
Dzisiaj jest śr gru 13, 2017 5:21 am

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 18 ]  Przejdź na stronę 1, 2  Następna
Autor Wiadomość
 Tytuł: "By Fire And Sword" at Huzzah! 2014 ...
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower
Awatar użytkownika

Hi folks ...

For those who are interested, a large game is being created using the "By Fire And Sword" rules system for Huzzah! 2014.

1. When & Where: This convention is now in its 5th year, and will be held from May 16-18, 2014 in South Portland, Maine, at the Double Tree Hotel. This is the second year in a row that the convention will be held at this location, because the event out grew it's previous location after the convention's first three years.

2. In the past, ... as part of the regular kinds of games, competitions, drawing prizes, and vendors, we've also organized a large game event as a significant feature of the convention. The first convention saw a large recreation of the Battle of Sabis (Romans vs. Peoples of the Low Countries), and that has been followed up with Vikings vs. Saxons in year two, Peking during the Boxer Rebellion for year three, and last year's series of games across the convention commemorated the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.

3. This time at Huzzah! 2014, ... the event will be featuring a big bring and battle game where players can bring figures they've painted for use with the "By Fire And Sword" rules during the period of time covered by that rules system. We have a good number of folks who have collections of figures that they've been painting and putting together for this game, and we are also opening the event up for folks who might want to get started in the era.

The rules have some excellent army lists for skirmish and regimental sized forces. A player can familiarize themselves with the different nationalities of the time period, determine what they'd like to buy, paint and bring, let us know in advance which of the skirmish or regimental sized forces they will be bringing, then we'll figure out a way to fit you and your figures into the game. Learning and playtesting the rules has already begun, and we're rolling full speed ahead!

4. And yes, its going to be big! ... We are using 25/28mm figures. Playtesting has already begun. Base sizes are 60mm width for infantry, cavalry, and artillery, with depth at 20mm or 25mm for infantry, 40mm or 50mm for cavalry, and artillery will likely be the same, but we'll get back to everyone on that. As you can see, 60mm base width is a must, but we're somewhat flexible on the depth.

5. Feel free to ask questions here, ... and eventually, as the group working on this meets and chats, we'll provide the answers along the way as the project is developed.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
 Tytuł: Re: "By Fire And Sword" at Huzzah! 2014 ...
Awatar użytkownika

GamesPoet pisze:
4. And yes, its going to be big! ... We are using 25/28mm figures. Playtesting has already begun. Base sizes are 60mm width for infantry, cavalry, and artillery, with depth at 20mm or 25mm for infantry, 40mm or 50mm for cavalry, and artillery will likely be the same, but we'll get back to everyone on that. As you can see, 60mm base width is a must, but we're somewhat flexible on the depth.

Will you still be requiring 3 figures per element? Those cavalry bases might get a little cramped. Though, I'll probably be bringing Cossacks, so I shouldn't need to worry too much about cavalry.

Anyway, sounds like fun! I'll be watching this space...

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

True, the bases will be a bit tight if using 3 figures, although some are using 25mm with 3 to a base. However, there are others using 2 cavalry figures per base, especially with 28mm. Whether a person uses 2 or 3 figures, each base will still be permitted 3 casualties before a base is removed from play.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Now that I've fidgeted a bit with my own collection, I can see how it would be doable. I even have an idea for special movement trays allowing my already-done bases to overlap and fit 3 cavalrymen in the required space.

But I'll probably still go with Cossacks. They don't seem to be a very popular army in 28mm, and I like to be different. It's too early to say for sure, but you can tentatively put me down for a 14ish point Cossack skirmish force.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Here's the announcement from the MHWA's Huzzah! website ...

Cytuj:
With the help of many people throughout New England, the Maine Historical Wargamers Association has hosted a series of great games and visual spectacles each year at Huzzah! We started with Battle of Sabis, then Viking Dawn, Boxer Summer, and a series of ACW games for the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg. What will we do for 2014? Let’s see what Chris Penney, James Flanagan, and Co. have in store…[/size]

The Siege of Danzig, 1655 – 1660

In 1655 the forces of the Kingdom of Sweden invaded the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The subsequent conflict has often been dubbed ‘the Deluge”. During the initial Swedish invasion Polish resistance quickly collapsed in most areas. However, along the shores of the Baltic, the city of Danzig (Gdansk) held out for five years against the Swedes remaining loyal to the Commonwealth throughout the struggle.

This scenario looks at one of the many engagements that occurred during the siege. Early in the war Swedish naval forces blockaded Danzig’s harbor in an attempt to cut off all supplies and relief by sea. Part of this operation involved an attack by Swedish land forces on Danziger Haupt (Glowa Gdanska) or Danzig Head which was an important water gate on the Vistula River.

In our recreation, Swedish forces are attempting to storm the not-yet-completed fortifications around Danziger Haupt, but not only must they look forward, but they must also be careful of their rear areas as powerful bodies of Polish horse still roam through the area attacking convoys and destroying isolated detachments.

Will the Swedes manage to overrun the Polish garrison at Danziger Haupt before Polish reinforcements arrive to save them? Come play the game and help to determine the fate of Danzig!

This game will be played with eight to ten players, using the popular rules, By Fire and Sword.

Here's a link to the MHWA's Huzzah! website ... http://huzzahcon.com/ ...

And here’s a link to the MHWA forums … http://mainewargamershq.com/forum/index.php ...

As well as another link to the area of those forums where Huzzah! 2014 is being discussed ... http://mainewargamershq.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

It is looking like this game is being played on Saturday evening, May 17th.

At one end of the table will be the Polish forces, mostly infantry and artillery, behind a few fortifications on the outskirts of Danzig while the Swedish forces are attacking them, including some seige guns pounding at a hilltop fortification as well. At the other end of the table, in come an army of Polish cavalry seeking to help break the seige, but they must first break through the Swedish cavalry that are responding to hold the Polish at bay.

Large quantities of 25/28mm figures have been painted and based for this game, yet if anyone is bringing along some of their own figures, make sure you let us know asap.

Thank you! :D

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

By the way ...

The "By Fire And Sword" folks have granted us permission to use the artwork of the Polish Winged Hussars as shown on the cover of the rules book for our annual convention T-shirt.

Special thanks goes out to the "By Fire And Sword" folks for allowing the Maine Historical Wargaming Association to tie the t-shirt into our conventions featured large theme game, which is using the "By Fire And Sword" rules with 25/28mm figures.

Thank you! 8)

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

I am happy to report that the Game called "The Seige of Danzig" using the "By Fire and Sword" rules has filled up for this convention. There will be 12 folks playing the game and multiple GMs.

This is the featured big game event of the convention, although ther are also many other games being played over the 3 day event. There is an Impetus tournament on Friday at 10am, a game session full of games on Friday night as well as Saturdya morning, afternoon, evening, and Sunday late morning into afternoon, plus a FoW tournament on Saturday, and a large 25/28mm Battle of Paris using Blackpowder rules and hundreds of Napoleonic figures bounding across the table top on Sunday.

This is the 5th year of this convention, being held in Portland ME, and it is well worth attending and having some fun!

Odpowiedz z cytatem  

Wish I could make it up. My wife would love it too. I could just leave her eating lobster all day, while I get to play. However my brother-in-law is making his first trip to the US during your convention and he wants to see New York and Washington, so I will be otherwise occupied.

Maybe next year...

Jeffinho

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Ah, bummer it can't be this year. Thanks for the interest though!

This convention has turned into quite the event over the last 5 years. I've been to the last 4, and this 5th one seems to be well on track for the number of games and pre-registrants, and that seems to be a good sign for some fun to be enjoyed.

By the way, the "By Fire and Sword" game is full, 12 players, multiple GMs. However, there are plenty of games across the scope of the 3 days to find something to suit most gamer's tastes.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 18 ]  Przejdź na stronę 1, 2  Następna

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]