Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
Dzisiaj jest pn lip 23, 2018 5:01 pm

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 51 ]  Przejdź na stronę Poprzednia  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Następna
Autor Wiadomość
 Tytuł: Re: Tactics
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower
Awatar użytkownika

Some comments and questions.

With a six point difference, you could have put more units in the village (if it was big enough?) For example, the Registered Moloitsy and the other Moloitsy. That's 12 bases, so would cost you 4 points.

Why were your troops in the village overrun so quickly? They should start with defense orders. Against cavalry, they then get an advantage. The cavalry also loses a lot of it's bonuses.

Ambush is not allowed for the stronger player in this scenario.

If your opponent usually plays with a lot of troops, maybe you should consider using more troops as well (if you have them). Rolling for additional effects can do nasty things with your opponent, but they can also have very little effect. An extra unit (or two/three, and a second commander) might do more.

Anyway don't take all of this too seriously, as I don't have a spotless trackrecord with my Cossacks. And the Polish are probably one of the harder opponents for them.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

The Registered Moloitsy had Defence Order but got hit frontally by a 3 bases Elite Cossacks Style Cavalry (7 attacks hitting against 6 with spears and pistols) unit in Close Order and a Cossacks Style Cavalry unit (which used Forced March before 3 bases too) in Open Order in the front and flank.
The Registered Moloitsy received 6 wounds and dealt out 1.
-5 for wounds difference
+2 for advantage in village against cavalry
-1 for Open Order
-1 for Flank attack
Rolled morale against 1 and failed by more than 5 they fled where followed by the Cossack Style Cavalry received 3 more wounds and one base was left which fled the village entirely.

The place where the Ambush took place could have been occupied in turn 2 by the Dragoons anyway. But thanks for pointing that out. :)

Yes my opponent likes big battles so usually maxes out his forces. I thought i will take this to my advantage and select a small force to get additional effects. Didn't turn out that well :D

I'm awaiting the moment we get enough models for Division Level games. Then i will deploy a Tabor as big as possible, covering my entire deployment zone and just wait :D

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Fältherren
Awatar użytkownika

That's quite a lot of wounds that Poles did manage to inflict. Did You count all the Cossacks' advantages from being in Built-up Area (page 102 of the rulebook)?

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

We treated the whole village as built-up-area. So no buildings there.

But as i'm now reading page 76...is terrain which grants an Advantage treated as an Obstacle? In this case his cavalry wouldn't get the Impetus modifier, correct? And his cavalry would have received a -2 on their Skill.

And yes i tend to roll abysmal and my opponent rolls very good :D

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Addendum: Page 86: Units in Open Order only gain Poor Tactical Discipline in open ground. Good to know.

And does cavalry in Open Order receive the +1 Skill modifier if charging an enemy unit even if they don't move 10cm?

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

BlackLegion pisze:
We treated the whole village as built-up-area. So no buildings there.

That's probably the main problem, then. If there is a village, there could be some buildings, which you can then occupy. Cavalry will find it very difficult to clear such buildings. If there are no buildings, the area should have some boundaries (fences/hedges). These can be defended and would count as an obstacle. When infantry is just defending the area the attacking cavalry get -2 skill, if the cavalry also have to cross an obstacle to attack they also lose their impetus.

Also note that the Polish Cavalry can't be in Close Order in the village, only Open Order is allowed. And since the cavalry is also in Open Order, both sides should get the -1 (or none, as they're not in open ground). And yes, all cavalry must move a minimum of 10cm to get impetus.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

We places buildings and fences to mark the village boundaries. They had no in-game effect other than markers which is according to the rules.

I'm a bit puzzled about the set-up of the village myself. If one player sets up the terrain then the village is just a build-up area. If both set up the terrain then the village has 2-3 buildings and a fence. The last option seems to be more favourable for the defender.

The Registered Moloitsy stood just at the border of the village area so that they would be able to shoot without negative modifiers. Should have put them right in the middle :D

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Chorąży/Ensign
Awatar użytkownika

Guys, there is no -1 for open order inside village only in open/clear ground.

When infantry defends against cavalery in village area:
- cavalery has no impetus bonus
- cavalery has -2 skill bonus
- infantry has +2 bonus at the end of combat
- infantry has improved armor to 4

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

BlackLegion pisze:
We places buildings and fences to mark the village boundaries. They had no in-game effect other than markers which is according to the rules.

You can play like that if you want to, no problem. But it means the terrain is much more favourable to cavalry armies. The Cossacks need all the bits of terrain they can get. Either that, or bring your own, i.e. the Tabor or some Kobylice.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Yes the Tabor seems to be very good. It doesn't do much but my opponent doesn't attack it anyway because he thinks he can't defeat it. It is good for area denial especially if infantry is defending it. :D

Kobylice look good but it reduces my infantry's speed even more to a crawl. But you can get double the amount than ordinary Field Fortifications. Hmm i will think about this. :)

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 51 ]  Przejdź na stronę Poprzednia  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Następna

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]