Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
Dzisiaj jest ndz wrz 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 4 ] 
Autor Wiadomość
 Tytuł: Mounted Cossacks - registered or not?
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower
Awatar użytkownika

Hi,

I have a simple question that has been bothering me for a while. In short, are the mounted Cossacks of the standard army list conceptually registered or not?

I know that purely rules-wise they form their own entry, nothing more to think there, end of story, but that's not the answer I'm looking for. I also know that ultimately I'm free to paint my models any way I want, but that's not the sought answer either. What I'm saying that background-wise we should have some answer to this, and possibly I could take it into account in my paint schemes.

When I tried to investigate the matter from multiple viewpoints, it only got more and more confusing. A few findings:

1) Historical sources: I didn't go very deep with this (unfortunately). Anyway, it seems that at least some registered Cossacks fought in light cavalry formations. Also, town Cossacks, apparently overlapping with the old "registered Cossacks" concept, were even required to supply a horse. Nevertheless, that doesn't outright imply that all mounted Cossacks would be registered.

2) Equipment: Registered Cossacks obviously were better equipped on average, which in the army list is reflected by their good quality firearms and sabres instead of spears. Mounted Cossacks of the army lists have spears and poor quality firearms like unregistered moloitsy. However, this might be an approximation of their varied equipment, which historically could include even bows.

3) Stats: Morale and skill stats of mounted Cossacks are equal to normal moloitsy - one morale point below registered. (Then again, elite mounted and veteran registered are equal.)

4) The troop type: Handling firearms and spears on horseback definitely takes at least a certain level of training, hence it doesn't sound like something for an entirely fresh hire...but these guys aren't the very best cavalrymen either.

5) Models: Both old and new mounted models show a great level of diversity, not only with their arms but also in their clothing. Some are fighting in plain shirts or even bare-chested. No common uniforms there. The "alternative models" guide recommends normal moloitsy for dismounted models, although this may be motivated by equipment, not necessarily implying that the unit would be unregistered. However, the figure pack is called "KOZ-2 Registered mounted cossacks". Interesting.

I cannot reach any clear conclusion with these thoughts. Is there some definitive answer to this?

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
 Tytuł: Re: Mounted Cossacks - registered or not?
Fältherren
Awatar użytkownika

First of all some clarification - Town Cossacks have nothing to do with Zaporozhians :) Registered Cossack almost solely fought on foot, as Cossack 'cavalry' was very poor and horses were usually only used as method of transport, not as tool of war (like this rather funny scenes in original 'Taras Bulba' movie). Ad hoc Cossacks did formed larger groups of mounted troops - like in 1649 campaign vs Lithuanians - but in such groups registered Cossacks (from original, pre-war register) would be just small percentage. As such, for purposes of painting, mounted troops should be treated as 'normal' Cossacks.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

Dolmot pisze:
However, the figure pack is called "KOZ-2 Registered mounted cossacks". Interesting.

Not only that, but the item description (both on the old boxed set and your website, as well as your distributors') still indicate that they are registered:

Cytuj:
Registered moloitsy served the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth for a small pay, cloth for uniforms and some privileges. Mounted Cossacks fulfilled a supporting role in the Cossack army, usually fighting as dragoons. Useful in reconnaissance missions, screening role and in pursuit of the enemy, in battle they preferred to fight dismounted alongside other infantry. Mounted Cossacks did not use armor and were equipped with sabers, rohatyna or spisa spears and wheel lock muskets or arquebuses.

Nice to see that the pack now includes dismounted figures though.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Awatar użytkownika

On top of that, on the website the heading for your quote is still 'Zaphorozian Cossacks Cavalry' and not 'Registered mounted cossacks'. (The box used to be KOZ-2 Zaporozhian Cossacks Cavalry and contained 9 mounted figures.)
Załącznik:
KOZ-02 - Zaporozhian Cossack Cavalry.jpg

Nie masz wymaganych uprawnień, aby zobaczyć pliki załączone do tego postu.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 4 ] 

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]