Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: BFaS ducats' catalogue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:52 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Taking personal offense over Wargamer.pl's policy is probably neither justified nor smart.

I think that offering special, unique figures for participating in unique, special events is actually a pretty legitimate tactic.

If they would just be commercially available, they wouldn't be 'special' anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:37 pm 
Pachołek/Camp servant

I think many would like to have them change it, I think into three groups:
- Historical figures with army lists. One should be able to get them without participating in tournaments (not everybody's cup of tea).
- Fun figures, only as reward for being active in the scene.
- Kickstarter only figures, You should have been there. ;)

I do look forward to see how they will handle the first group, the historical figures. (Off course, I'll get them all, since I do participate in tournaments ;) )

Cheers,
Zagin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:42 pm 
Sekretarz królewski/Royal secretary

Today we had a discussion about it and in a few weeks you can expect first results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:11 pm 

Thanks Michal
It will be interesting and see, I really hope you guys change your stance on this.

I would like to make a few more points both in response to the comments above and I think I have not made my point of view understood.

First I understand proxies and I am in no way limited by “what you see is what you get” on the table. I never hold to that as long as my opponent knows what I have and sometimes it is interesting when you do not know exactly what you enemy has. As to other companies having special figures at cons, it does not make it a very good marketing strategy in my view. GW has as many people that hate them as love them due to the way they treat their customers. And the offer from “piotraslav” to get ducts from you well that is really nice but that is really not my point I am trying to take the side of a lot of people in the hobby that do not like this kind of special figure deals where only a few people really have access to them.

I think the question really is; is this a good marketing strategy, as when all is said and done the company has to make money or it will go away.

What do you as company actually get from this? The gamers at the cons and tournaments are they there for the special figures is it any way an incentive for the gamers. Going to a con/tournamen it is a financial and time commitment, so how many guys are we talking about here?? Less then 100 less then 50?? I don’t know. But again my point is that getting the special figures is not what they are thinking of, first and foremost is that they really enjoy the game and the figures!

So now you have the other group of gamers those that don’t go to cons or tournaments for various reasons from not having the finances to having no interest in going. How many are they??? And how much do they spend??? I have to tell you that those special figures are for me a great draw and not due to them being hard to get (impossible for me) but the fact they are historical figures or really flavorful characters that add a great deal to the visual of my units on the table! I got into your game not because it is a great game ( it is rather good one by any standards) but the fact that you guys are Polish and have access and can research the “eastern” armies of the period which has not been done in any meaningful way by English speaking wargame designers. The history is why I got into your game both the amount of information that you put in the books and the fact that you have such unique armies that almost no other manufacture has done.

Now I see all those historical figures you have greens of on your face book page and those in the duct catalogue and to me they are great I want them to add more history to my figure collection. The worst is the Deluge book with those great historical figures, with photos of the figures stats and all, well sorry I was not in the Kick starter so no figures for me!!!

As a consumer this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth and a suspicion that this could get worse for us non con/tournament gamers. What happens if you start putting out special pdfs with characters and or units for specific tournaments and there is no way I can get my hands on them. For me that means any loyalty that your company has built with me both in the quality of your books and great guys like Michal who helped my at Tacticon go right out the window. I think ok I will get the rule book and I will buy figures from others, I can always use proxies and other manufactures have lots of proxies. And don’t put pictures of a number of figures and stats for them in published books and tell your customers that only a certain clique can get the figs!!!!

I really think from a marketing point of view this ducat stand is a big mistake, you want to make all your customers happy not just a certain elite who go to cons/tournaments. It is easy give away free stuff at the cons/tournaments but then make it available for purchase to the vast mass of gamers who do not attend these events. This will serve you better in the long run as you build up your customer service.

I am hoping that you make the right decision about this for all your customers.

Thanks
William Keyse

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:55 am 
Sekretarz królewski/Royal secretary

We have just updated English version of Ducat's Catalogue,

You may dowlnload it here

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:04 pm 

I have to say... I am exceedingly jealous as I also won't be able to earn much in Ducats....
But.... I do love their system. Honestly... I think it is well thought out and there are other ways to earn the Ducats from the e-format.... you just don't have to be a tourney player.... because, truth be told.. I am new to this game and do not foresee ever winning any Ducats at tournaments.... I go to 3 main shows where these tourneys will be played.. HMGS Cold Wars, Historicon and Fall-In!.... and, as the Fall-IN! convention director I will not have time to do tourneys... because if I were to be winning... (highly unlikely)... I would be shucking my director duties!

Anyway, it makes me jealous, but jealous with a smile and in a good way!!!!!

You see, I am OCD... and when I start collecting certain things, I have to have them all..... In this case, it would be all of the special figures usable by my armies...

<sigh>

It sucks, but like I said, they are so much more special this way.... you have to earn them and, well... when I get there, I get there!!!

William, I see your point, I have spent an unspecified amount at Historicon and mail order.... (my wife needs not to know). Imagine what your Euro costs would be if you were from America.... I digress.

Keep them special! Keep me jealous!!!! Someday I'll be earning enough to get the ones I want!