Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: [USA-based Players] Where are you all hiding?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:17 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

You may or may not be having the same problems as I am having. We love this game but either are remote and have nobody to play this game or we cannot seem to drum up enough interest from our regular gaming buddies or at our local gaming store. What can we do about that?

What if we didn't even know we had someone local to play BF&S against? Maybe we should post here and introduce ourselves? OR

What if we scheduled a BF&S meet up once a quarter or so and rotated hosting a BF&S gaming weekend? I know I would drive upwards of 5-6 hours knowing I could play the game. An overnight stay in the area is affordable unless the hosting player has a floor, cot, or room player(s) could crash in.

The events and players at the recent Historicon convention fired me up. I have loved this game from its introduction and want to play more and more of it. Who else feels the same? Then let's do something about it and get some momentum going here in the US!!!

Let me know your thoughts.

Frank

http://knightrecoil.blogspot.com
http://peasantpartisan.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: Where are you all hiding?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:44 am 

I've been playing BF&S since late 2013. Living in New England, there is a small group of us here that play the rules using 25/28mm figures, and there was a large feature game in May of 2014 at Huzzah! in Portland ME where we had the BF&S logo on our T-shirts, had a printer service do up a life sized version of a Polish Musketeer and an Ottoman Jannisary for display and then auctioned them off.

I traveled to Fredericksburg in July 2014, played in the mini tournament organized by Jeff, and met Frank and Scott, and of course Konrad too. My enthusiasm was so high, and this from a guy who has never painted 15mm, that I purchased a 15mm Cossack skirmish set, along with some scenery items, and a pack of Prussians, the latter just because they are cool, yet maybe I'll start an army for them at some point, too. I also purchased some figure packs and gave them away as part of drawing prizes up here in this area, to see if maybe that might encourage some 15mm interest, but none yet. However, not being able to attend Historicon this year, yet seeing all that happened down that way, it motivated me to crack open the Cossack skirmish set this past week an clean up and wash the figures, in prepartaion for priming as soon as the humidity level takes a dip one evening. Then I'll begin the painting!

I'd love to know if there are other 15mm BF&S player in New England!

I'm alot more than 5 or 6 hours from Virginia.

I'd love to see Konrad show up at next years Huzzah! in May of 2016, and some players from down that way come and do a tourney maybe on Saturday? There probably won't be as many as attend Historicon, meaning the convention and the tourney, but setting up a table to sell figures and rules, running a demo game or more across from the table (we at Huzzah! let the dealers in the main hall and let them run games across from their booth. Other big name distributors in the States that show for this event include Eureka USA and Age of Glory, and there are other smaller guys that attend as well.

But there is of course Fall-In! in the fall of 2015, plus Cold Wars in the late winter 2016, too.

I'm planning to have my Cossacks complete in time for next year, and hope to return to Historicon as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:19 am 

Ahhh, the real "face" behind GamesPoet! Talk about a small tournament in 2014! You would have had a blast this year. I hope we can manage a game together if I can arrange a Cold Wars visit. I may even have my new Transylvanians painted by then. Historicon was , indeed, a great BFaS weekend and, as I mentioned, reignited the passion I have for this game. Stay in touch.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:08 pm 

It was brand new over here in the States in 2014. There were 5 or 6 people playing in the mini tourney. It was more to just get some games in, and I think it went 2 or 3 rounds. If I recall, had games with at least Jeff and Scott, but didn't get one in with Frank. I borrowed a Cossack army from Jeff and had a blast. Meeting and talking with Konrad was a good time as well. I remember they sold out of rule books on Friday, and sold quite a few boxes of miniatures to folks, too.

The idea that there were 16 players this year, plus a couple of other large sized games being run that used the rules as well, that sounds great! So where are the rest of all those folks from? It seems like there is now a contingent or two from Florida, besides the VA area, maybe the midwest, and in the 25/28mm folks in New England.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:31 pm 

Hey guys, I'm in central NJ. I ran a couple of games at NJCon and met a few people from southern NJ that play fairly regular with their club in Cape May. I haven't been able to get down there yet, but I'm hopeful. Still trying to get some interest in my area, but I haven't been very active lately. Just started painting lots of Polish and Swedish troops again. Trying too create some momentum...

I have been wanting to head up to Huzza! since its inception, but timing never seems to work. My family is up by Bangor, so I could actually get to see them too. Lord knows they wont come down here.

Anyway, there must be more of us out there. :-D

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:16 pm 

Central NJ is a doable trip for me. Let me know when you guys are having a BFaS session over a weekend or at least a full Saturday. That would make it a trip worthwhile! Stay in touch!

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:08 pm 

Lets start a list ...

New England ... GP
New Jersey ... Bartman
Virginia ... Kontos, Jefritrout, PiperRider361
Florida ...

As I see folks post here, then I'll keep updating the list with new posts along the way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:01 am 

Good going, GP. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:01 am 

I pulled jefritrout's and piperrider361's usernames to add to the list because suspect they'll return to these forums along the way as they have in the past. I would have added other usernames, like some of the folks in the various FL threads, yet these folks are all newer here, and not sure how often we'll see them around. If they pop in and see this thread, let us know they want to be added, then we know such folks are at least aware of this thread, and that is probably good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:44 pm 

Hey Kontos ... maybe it could be good to call this thread something like "List of By Fire & Sword Players in the USA"? Maybe that will help attract more folks who visit the site from the USA into providing info for the list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next