Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting Started - Battle of Warsaw
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:02 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Hello friends,

So far, all I have is the main rulebook. I'm looking to start my armies soon. I'd like to get started with the Battle of Warsaw campaign book (which I don't have yet). Which would be good armies to start with? Would the King Gustav Horse Guard Regiment be a good initial purchase? What about a Polish force?

Post subject: Re: Getting Started - Battle of Warsaw
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 pm 

The horse guard comes with a lot of armor and arquebuses; both are comparatively pricey (and inflexible) and situational to use. I would not recommend it, unless you plan task force right away :).

If I was to recommend a starter SE army as of now I would recommend the reworked skirmish list; it has veteran musketeers, veteran dragoons, nonvet cav, and cannons. Unfortunately only one additional officer, but you can't have it all :)
Everything is at a reasonable price since the rework. It offers plenty of variability for all the scenarios, and should be a good start.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:42 pm 

As far as I know, you will need "Lithuanian Winged Hussars under Aleksander Hilary Polubinski" box at some point in the campaign (for RON faction).

Also, AFAIK, the whole Battle of Warsaw campaign is divided into many skirmish battles, so you not need a lot to start.

When I will be at home today, I will check my Battle of Warsaw book for more details...

[edited] Ok, I have skimmed over few first scenarios in "Battle of Warsaw" and I must say that the number of required figures grows quite rapidly ;)

For the first two scenarios below I listed what you need.

For Allied Swedes and Brandenburgians:
6 bases of each: Swedish mercenary reiters; Swedish veteran reiters; Bradenburgian reiters; and Bradenburgian reiters with arquebuirsers;
Then you will need a base of a command (he is given by name as: Count Claes Tott, I do not know the guy ;) ) and a base of colonel (either Swedish or Brandenburgian).
In total: 78 figures.

I do not know much about Swedish forces, but it seems that you probably need some dragoons and some more Swedish veteran reiters to field a skirmish force.

For Polish-Lithuanian:
11 bases of cossack-style cavalry plus some shields to make elite; 3 bases of cossack-style cavalry with spears; 4 polish tartars bases; 8 (simplified rules) or 28 bases (normal rules) of new type musketeers; infantry major base; small polish gun (for both normal and simplified rules); medium polish gun (only for normal rules); polish cavalry rotamaster commander; and polish cavalry colonel; Total: 87 - 147 figures + 1-2 guns.

Also, some terrain to create redoubts in second scenario.

From that you could build a decent (but probably not a very versatile) Lithuanian skirmish force for casual play. You probably would like to buy some more polish tartars (if going for Lithuanian skirmish set) or Pancerni (for the Crown skirmish forces) and of course some polish dragoons (for both).

I think it is a lot of models to start with ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:26 pm 

Since you're just starting out I would suggest just getting the Polish skirmish set and the Swedish skirmish set. This will give you two balanced, legal ready to play forces to learn the rules with. You can then build off of them and get exactly the things you need for the Warsaw campaign.

regards, Bill

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:44 pm 

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Especially thanks to you, Robson! Very detailed info. Yeah, that's probably more than I want to start with. But at least I know what direction to go. I really love the idea of linked battles forming a historical campaign with named leaders, etc. I'm actually more interested in going for Cossacks and Poles due to my recent reading of With Fire and Sword. Hopefully, there's a plan for a campaign book for this! So in the end it's either Cossacks or Swedes. Maybe I'll just flip a coin! :P

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm 

Don Cossack wrote:
Thanks for the replies, fellas. Especially thanks to you, Robson! Very detailed info. Yeah, that's probably more than I want to start with. But at least I know what direction to go. I really love the idea of linked battles forming a historical campaign with named leaders, etc. I'm actually more interested in going for Cossacks and Poles due to my recent reading of With Fire and Sword. Hopefully, there's a plan for a campaign book for this! So in the end it's either Cossacks or Swedes. Maybe I'll just flip a coin! :P

Thanks again!

btw. I too preffer "By Fire and Sword" over "The Deluge" ;)