Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Plastic horses?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:57 am 
Namiestnik

fastolfrus wrote:
callan wrote:
I'm just sceptical about mounting the riders. The only glue that bonds well with both metal and plastic is superglue, and that requires a tight fit without any gaps (gel superglue is only marginally better). Given how little actual contact surface there is between the riders and the saddle I fear they will come off much easier than the stong PVA I use for metal figures.

How about a two-part epoxy glue? Would that not work?

It will work but it's a bit messy and difficult to control. It becomes unusable about three minutes after mixing, do if you want to glue bigger group of riders to horses you'll need to mix glue several times. If you won't be careful enough, it can easily ruin your paintjob by leaving ugly stains. Greenstuff is much better as it gives you some time to correct your work and it will immadiately hołd the rider on saddle contrary to epoxy. Epoxy gives a stronger bond, but otherwise it sucks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:14 am 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Hrothgar wrote:
Well, given the irregularity of most of the rider figures, the best solution is green stuff anyway. That is the only material that will allow you to properly fill in any gaps and create a large enough contact surface. I've been using it for years and never had any rider separated from his horse and always a very neat bond that blends in with the model itself.

It's not the only one. I've been using PVA glue (actually Bostik wood glue) which fills out gaps just fine and dries almost as hard as epoxy (it takes a lot of strength to remove a rider once glued on).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:17 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Hrothgar wrote:
Well, given the irregularity of most of the rider figures, the best solution is green stuff anyway. That is the only material that will allow you to properly fill in any gaps and create a large enough contact surface. I've been using it for years and never had any rider separated from his horse and always a very neat bond that blends in with the model itself.

Totally agree. Also, painting saddle cloth in green color allows for almost seamless mounting riders after painting horses separately ;)