Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Expansion of the basic Polish Skirmish set
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:43 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

I am new to this game and have played one brief 5 minute demo round and about an hour of a trial game. I have the basic Polish Skirmish set with 1 unit of Pancerni, 1 unit of Wallachians, and 2 units of Cossacks. Is there a list available to increase the FSP of THIS PARTICULAR LIST or do I need to go to a different list to up grade this force.

Other than exchanging units for dragoons what is the best way to add infantry to the Polish forces? Is the addition of Mercenaries a good option versus Polish infantry? Jerry

Post subject: Re: Expansion of the basic Polish Skirmish set
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:17 pm 
Sekretarz królewski/Royal secretary

it's just a Polish Skirmish 1667-72 list with banner of cossack style cavalry exchanged to Wallachians

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:30 pm 
Namiestnik

If you want to play infantry based forces them maybe you've picked wrong army - Cossacks or Muscovites would be a better choice. But if you want PLC infantry based skirmish force, you can choice between Słuck ("Armies of BFaS), or city defence (pdf from WG website).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 pm 

I want to add infantry to my Polish Cavalry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 am 
Namiestnik

No way, I'm affraid. Both Słuck and city defence have an option to use cavalry in limited quantities, but polish skirmish forces are basically cavalry forces with little dragoons option. One of Lithuanian skirmishes has an option to field larger quantities of dragoons (Obuchowicz in "Armies..."), rest of his forces are cossacks style cavalry. If you're looking for mixed cavalry-infantry forces, try Sweden od other western armies, alternatively Muscovites.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:41 am 

Can you put together the Polish Skirmish set and add to it 3 points of Mercenary Forces for a total of 8 points (both are listed in the Polish section of the Revised Edition of the rule book?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:52 am 
Namiestnik

You can create your army only using specific skirmish force. Just because these units are listed in polish army section doesn't mean you can expand your skirmish force with any unit you want. You must go up the ladder choising one of available options for every FP for a specific skirmish list. I'm affraid it's impossble to build a skirmish your way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:33 am 
Komisarz królewski/Royal commissar

There are few other ways to play with infantry (and even a gun) using PLC army, althought using almost any of these figures which you already have:

1) Having "Armies of BFaS" book and few POL-5 and POL-17 sets you will be able to field Polish Noble Levy force (with 1:1-1.5:1 ratio for infantry). You will be able to field up to 4 "professional" army bases you already have (cossack style cav or dragoons) + commander base. It's possible to add a 1.5pdr gun and a foot commander there. I had fielded them once and I won. This force has its pros and cons and has some chances against some enemies. I would like to play them more.

2) In mentioned "Armies..." book there is also a little bit crazy only-foot skirmish force of Polish highlanders. They are not a regular units, think of them rather as insurgents/partisans. Requires few completly new sets.

3) Last but not least - in "Deluge" supplement there is the small skirmish force of Partisans, in which you can choose to field them in "more on foot" version. You can reach maximal level of 5 FSP and buying some special commanders described in "Armies..." suplement will add another 1 FSP (one of them boost foot partisans) to force's strenght. Few POL-5 and POL-21 will be needed.

Going back to Slutsk Garrison force from "Armies..." mentioned by @Duderson - it's really nice army list. Also played and won.

So... Making some larger shopping you will be able to field few PLC foot skirmish lists, althought be prepared that playing them won't be easy (maybe except Slutsk Garrison).

jerryk wrote:
Can you put together the Polish Skirmish set and add to it 3 points of Mercenary Forces for a total of 8 points (both are listed in the Polish section of the Revised Edition of the rule book?
That's impossible... yet ]:(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:26 am 

What is the WG website?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:07 am 
Namiestnik

http://www.fireandsword.wargamer.pl
Check the download section.
Most of the skirmishes mentioned by Witold are really difficult to play.
@Witold Janik
Yet? Hope it never will. I'd prefer to army building system in BFaS to stay the same. It's much better than spaming the tables with overpowered units, like in other wargames.