Post subject: Re: Swedish tactical advice
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:12 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Tartar are the power army.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:43 pm 

Poles are everything.
From powerlist to pure fluff in form of volunteer or partisan groups. 8)
But yes a list composed with as much pancerny as possible is easier to use as mallet than a list of reiters.

That said there are balancing factors.

That Swedish Good Tactical Discipline is quite strong on the long run, if You don't let Yourself be charged by
superior numbers. Even a loss of one counts as draw.
So even though the Pole has chance of rolling loads of damage Swedes benefit from their discipline in every combat resolution. Most annoying...

And though the pancerny have armor 5, cossackstyle cavalry must do with measly 3. Against reiters they are likely
Also - scarce ammo means both cossacks and pancerny will run out of ammo with their pistols.
(Though so may the Reiters may - if they shoot while charging in wide formation.)

Swedish dragoons are better than thair Polish counterparts, who only have salvo if elite.
If playing detachment - the one with cannons - that grapeshot can really ruin a day of pan brat. And they shoot twice in round. So they may run out of ammo, but while they have power they can put out a lot of hurt ( and force morale checks.)

And yes tartars are the power army (alltough hordes of Ottomans and Muscovites have proponents also.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:44 pm 

I usually play Sweden versus Poland and I've the same problem. Polish cossacks are a tough bite. I usualy get draws or tactical defeats. My only tactical victory was playing a village defense. Musketeers inside buildings were like rocks against waves.

I think it's better to use musketeers than dragons: better reach and better punch. Reiters can win cavalry clashes. But the great maneuverality of the Polish usualy gives me a hard time.

Also my artillery is usually smashed by the cavalry, one moment or another.

I hope future task force rules allows pikemen blocks in skirmish.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:00 am 

muskeers are just so highly unflexible, you really must defend, otherwise you are screwed; also, a delay in some form (be it panic or delay) can also take them essentially out of the game. 15cm is nothing, and that also assumes that you can march.

at the moment I play ~10-11 fsp Invincibles, which usually makes me attack; I play 5+5+4 cav and 6 dragoons. dragoons are worth a lot here, as they can defend or hold positions, but also countermarch their way in hills, into villages or woods; yet I can move them quickly should need be.
I could replace 4 cav with 6 nonvet musketmen, I have, vainly, as attacker, tried so in the past, but maybe I could revisit it, expecting to defend

on the last weekend though, I had the opportunity to play vs both 14 fsp cossacks (blacklegion's) and 14 fsp PLC. While the game against the cossacks felt very balanced and was a lot of fun, his bad roll luck balancing my tactical mistakes, defending a crossing against teleporting elite cav enhanced by swimming was entirely pointless; they were all over the place.
I am a bit concerned that the elite cav bonuses against the "conventional" cav will become even stronger on task force level, as the additional milage makes even more of a difference, be it reaching objectives earlier (looking at you, take and hold with three hills), having an extremely high chance of scoring flanking charges, or just moving faster from one end of the battlefield to the other.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:56 pm 

This is turning out to be a really interresting if somewhat disincouraging thread, for Swedish players.

The elite specialrule seems to be a concern for everyone. Has anyone ever thought about droping it. I mean its a cool enough rule, but with so much going for then already the Poles could do without it.

Cheers
Erik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:24 am 

I don't see the Elite Cavalry rule as such a problem. After all it honours the fact that historically Polish cavalry WAS highly mobile on the battlefield.

It is more of a problem that other factions are less forgiving to play.

Swedes are an elite army. Low body count is their main disadvantage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 am 

ah let's get not historical things and game balancing confused here. But you are right, let's split the elite cav thing from the thread topic.

And I do share the opinion that Swedes are less forgiving to play; small mistakes in deployment, movement or officer use ruins your game; bad roll luck hits harder, especially with small companies, where few hits can make you lose one of your precious bases early in the game.
But on the other hand, they die hard, and also three dragoon bases can make nasty holes in a village and whoever is hidden in there.

So overall, I wouldn't say discouraging at all. I'd say: If you play Swedes, this is what you signed up for, and you are not alone :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm 

Onkelsheik keep refering to an invincible army list. What is that? We are using the list from Deluge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:02 pm 

boken om Danska kriget

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:04 pm 
Namiestnik

If you play Sweden, your best bid is to play Horn's forces from "Armies...".