Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: help with building skirmish force
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:48 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Ok, so far I mostly played with what I had around to learn the rules.. now I'm starting to plan my force and here are some questions..

Field Dragoons.. do I need different minis not available for this yet ? They seem to be armed just like border dragoons but I would need some cavalry bases to represent them when they are mounted... what do people currently do with this.. use servant cossack cavalry bases or what ?

In all these skirmish forces the pike units are treated as an independent unit ( and I need to have at least three bases in that unit, correct ? ) Since I need to treat the pike men as a fully independent unit, do the pike and shot rules apply or not ?

Looking at the Skirmish set available it would seem to be ideal for the Saciezcna Guard... however in that set you have over 15 bases, so technically you should be able to add two extra bases which due to the basic structure of the force would probably be servant cossacks... why would those not be included in the skirmish starter set available..

I have a similar problem when using the other skirmish force, I'm not sure where can I fit those extra two bases.. I couldn't for example add two reiter bases given that the reiter rotas do not allow for extra bases ? So in fact they could only add to the boyar sons or the servant cossacks ? is this correct ? ( It really seems difficult to build a skirmish force out of the boxes available and be able to use this rule.. could you guys provide examples of skirmish forces you've seen using the rule and what sets of minis are required ?)

I also have a unit of soldats, I guess there is really no use for them in any of the skirmish forces.. correct ?

thanks
Francisco

Post subject: Re: help with building skirmish force
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:15 pm 
Fältherren

1. Field dragoons - currently no minis for them, as we speak :) they're work in progress, both foot and mounted.
2. You can still use P&S formation in skirmish.
3. Our skirmish sets do not contains extra units that are available as option (like volunteers for Poles/Lithuanians), it's just something thay players need to deal on their own ;)
4. Yes, in Skirmish Force extra bases from Special Rules can be only 'grey' options, not stand alone units.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:33 pm 
Pachołek/Camp servant

Hey!

Look at Anatoli's blog - You will find there how the Zasieczna Guard fight. There is a small battle report from our game, which was played at Wilanów.

If You want to make Russian roster You should start from buying a starter set. It's really awesome for a begginer. For next upgrades feel free to buy more Cossacks and one more cannon.

12 bases of peasant infantry are enought. Your main forces will be cossacks, bocouse of their great ability to fight in terrain.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:29 am 

Well, too late for that.. I bought one box of boyar sons , one of boyar sons with spears, one of dragoons, one of soldats and one of reiters...

I sort of how to fit them into the std skirmish force using the broder dragoons as field dragoons... when I bought this the starter set was not available...

given your advice I'll go an get the starter set and look at Anatoli's blog to get ideas... thanks...

by that with the starter set and what I have I should have a 3 regiment army ...

thanks for the quick answers guys

Francisco

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 am 
Pachołek/Camp servant

"Classic" Russian skirmish set is much more hard to play than Zasieczna. Of course, You will have great squad of reiters, but also You will have a lot of Boyar Sons which can do everything, but can't fight ;) They are very poor. They better version (they are an option for +1PS and their number depends on how strong Your army is) is really cool, and i recommend You to give them spears.

For learning the game i can suggest You two options:

#1 Small forces. Very nice to command. Almmost always You will chooce the scenario, also will have couple of effects. I told post ago that river is Your 1st pick as scenario? ;)

Zasieczna Guard - 4FP

Gołowa ##
4x Peasant pikeman
8x Peasant musketeer
4x Servant Cossacks
4x Servant Cossacks
1x Falconet 1,5f

From the roster You will have 2x3 SC, but You can add 2 more bases for free becouse od special rule.

#2 Greater forces. High FP and numbers. You can outnumber Your enemy, but also be ready to have hard time with enemy forces effects. Also You will not choose the scenario. Almost always You will play what Your enemy want. Things with the star symbol depends on Your roll for special rule of commander.

*Gołowa ###/##
Lieutenant #
8x Boyar Sons
*4/7x Elite Boyar Sons with spears
4x Servant Cossacks
3x Field Dragoons with spears
6x Field Dragoons with muskets
6x Reiters.

Again You will add extra bases (3 in this case) becouse of Your great number. To get roster like this You have to switch some BS from the 1st level of ladder to Servant Cossacks and Field Dragoons.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:18 am 

Hey, this is very useful, not only because of the army recommendation but because by seeing how you create the forces I get a better understanding on how to use the army list...

Thank you very much... I guess I need to get some servant cossacks , they were not out when I got my minis...

Also, as i was saying before.. what do you do to represent the mounted field dragoons? ... you can probably use some boyar sons cavalry as good proxies... particularly if you use the cav with spears for the spear armed dragoons, right ?

again, thanks for all the insights

Francisco

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:14 pm 
Pachołek/Camp servant

As a mounted field dragoons You can use some minis. Here post from polish forum.

Kadrinazzi (sorry for translation bot, i know Your version could be way better than mine ;) ) wrote:
6. Field dragoons muskeeters - until their set will be not realesed we suggest few options. You can use here registry moloitsy without command, or few servant cossacks models without any armour, with longbarrel shooting weapons, and moscow style caps with fur.
Field dragoons pikeman - u can use border dragoons pikeman for FD.
As mounted Fld Drg. You can use three poses of servant cossacks without any armour, with longbarrel shooting weapon without any modifications. As mounted Fld Drg. with pikes You can use several Boyar Sons with spears without armour, bows, and shooting weapons.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:49 pm 
Fältherren

f3nsir wrote:
Kadrinazzi (sorry for translation bot, i know Your version could be way better than mine ;)

It's ok, I'm translating whole topic into English anyway, it should be ready tonight or tomorrow.