Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about the skirmish box
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:25 am 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

I have bought the Muscovite skirmish box. The force organisation chart on the back says that I get 2 companies of border dragoons with 6 bases each and 2 companies of servant cossacks with 3 bases each for 2FSP. This fits perfectly with the contents of the box. But the force organisation chart in the rulebook shows only border dragoon companies with 3 bases. Which one is correct?

Another question about the pikemen: I have read, that 1/3 of the border dragoons hav to be equipped with pikes. I can't find the location where this is stated. If I field the 2 companies of border dragoons (3 bases like the rulebook says) and 2 companies of servant cossacks, how is it possible to form a pike block of at least 3 bases? Am I forced to go up to 3FSP or change a servant cossack company into 2 bordercdragoon companies?

Thank you for the help.

Post subject: Re: Question about the skirmish box
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:37 am 

From the Muscovite Zasieczna Guard (free) PDF:
For 2 FSP you get:
1 Colonel
2 Border Dragoons Companies: 4 bases with muskets / 2 bases with pikes
2 Servant Cossack Sotnia's: 3 bases Servant Cossacks each (leaving the grey bases unfilled)
For +1 FSP:
2 Border Dragoons Companies: 4 bases with muskets / 2 bases with pikes
For (another) +1 FSP:
1 Falconet

But this is what you already understand, if I am correct and as you know this part of the force is the full content of the Skirmish box.
In the chart you see the Border Dragoon shadows. 4 bases are represented by musketeer shadows and 2 bases are represented by pike carrying dragoons. Hence; 1/3 has to carry pikes. (I have not spent much time on the Muscovites though, so there might be an entry somewhere that explicitly says it has to be done like that.)
To get the 3 pike base minimum, it is indeed necessary to upgrade your force to 3 FSP OR you can exchange 1 Servant Cossack Sotnia of 3 bases for 2 Border Dragoon companies (4 bases with muskets / 2 bases with pikes). (Please see: viewtopic.php?lang=en&f=45&t=5860 ) Then you can still play 2 FSP.

And may I ask, regarding to your comment: "But the force organisation chart in the rulebook shows only border dragoon companies with 3 bases.", if you're looking at the skirmish force or a regiment chart for a division? I can't check it as I am at work right now. ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:00 pm 

I can't find the free .pdf on the BFaS site, looks like it was removed.

After reading your post I did a closer look at the chart and silhouettes of the border dragoons. I haven't noticed that one base of 3 was holding pikes before. Thanks for that :-)

I am speaking about the Zasieczna Guard skirmish force, for me it is still a long way up to division level. The chart in the rulebook shows 6 bases of border dragoons and says next to it, that this are 2 companiers. The chart from the back of the skirmish box shows 2 companies of 6 bases each (see picture attached). That is what confuses me.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:11 pm 
Towarzysz/Companion

That's a mistake - on the 2FSP level you get 2 border dragoons companies - 3 bases each.

Прикованными к веслам на галерах!