Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Tsardom of Muscovy blog
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:37 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

After a few demo games and quite a few hours leafing through the impressive rulebook, I couldn't resist and I have started with the Tsardom of Muscovy for By Fire and Sword.

To make room for this project, both financially and physically, I had to sell my 6mm Marine Expeditionary Unit, which I hadn't touched for 5 years. That hurt, but luckily produced a lot of money to buy nice things.

And that it is nice soon became clear, because the first order has already arrived! This was here within three working days with UPS from Poland to the Netherlands, which is a very short time. It was all securely and safely packaged and to my delight all individual items were packed in blisters or neat boxes. As someone who has been used to getting everything supplied in plastic bags or brown cardboard it was nice to be able to unpack this.

I had ordered the following:

Muscovy Skirmish Box Set
Box Boyar Sons
Box Boyar Sons with spears
Box Muscovy High Command
Blister Lancer Rota
Blister Muscovy Leaders
Blister Wells (terrain)
Blister Muscovy casualties
Big Box Peasant Hut
Box Farm Buildings
Box Peasant Hut with Pigsty
Revised Edition Rulebook

In addition, I had a special request: whether it would be possible to three additional Boyar Sons who ordered firing their bow? My plan was to mix it with some suitable Servant Cossacks by the Boyar Sons to make some extra bases.

Wargamer.pl was very helpful and have enthusiastically put lot of effort in trying to help me. Although I had paid only € 4.00 extra for the three additional Boyar Sons, it turned out to have no less than nine additional Boyar models in the bag, so I can unexpectedly make two extra bases.

Nothing but praise for this shop from Poland. I'll certainly order more if I need to extend my army.

Organization

The next step is to sort out everything and organize it into their future units. One of the nicest things to BFAS for me is the way you compose army lists. The skirmish lists lets you create and complement your force in endless subtle ways.

I will first focus primarily on a large amount of Boyar Sons. I want to have a total of 20 bases Boyar Sons, which will cost me about as many FSP as 10 bases of other armies. They may not make a dent in a pack of butter, but with its very many bases showing up, perhaps I can win by outnumbering the enemy and hopefully still have an impact.

This core can I supplement with Servant Cossacks and Field Dragoons. Of these I don't have such a good idea how I want to field them yet and how many points they are worth me. I have plenty of time to think about it while I finish the Boyars.

The next step will be to attach the Boyars to their horse. In many models there's quite a bit of room left between rider and horse, so it seems best to fix all riders with green stuff and firmly upright in the saddle. Then I want to put all models on sticks to paint simultaneouslybefore they are glued to their base. I'm not going to go put sand on the bases, but just completely cover it with static grass and tufts.

Post subject: Re: Tsardom of Muscovy blog
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:41 pm 
Towarzysz/Companion

Please remember to order Russian reiters as fast as you can - they're the best unit of this faction (and you're paying 1FSP for 2 bases). And good luck :)

Прикованными к веслам на галерах!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:57 pm 

Nice start :D

Leszczyc is right. You need Reiters else you can't field Lancers. Reiters are also very good for the Skirmish Force.
Also you need: Muscovite Dice and Muscovite Order Tokens :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:14 am 

Nice to see Muscovites getting loving attention.
Colorful army with nice models.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:38 pm 
Podczaszy Ziemski

Good luck with your Muscovites and hope to see the progress here soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:01 pm 

I want to get a lot of Muscovy Reiters, but I thought that I better get the inferior troops out of the way first, otherwise I'll never finish them.

@ Leszczyc: 1 FSP for two bases, is that expensive or cheap according to you?

@ Black Legion: I know, but I'm going to mix the lancers in with the Boyars with spears to bring them to 8 bases. :) They're such cool models that I'm sure nobody will mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:55 pm 
Towarzysz/Companion

IMO, it's quite cheap, comparing to other armies.

Прикованными к веслам на галерах!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:16 am 

Looking forward to seeing how this develops. : )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:40 pm 

Already time for a modest update. : :)

First, I'll be painting casualties. I must say that the Muscovy casualties are a little disappointing. Of the four different sculpts there are only two recognizable as Muscovites. The other two look like cuirassiers and pikemen of any Western army. Those are perhaps suitable for Muscovy Reiters or Soldats but not Boyars, Cossacks and the Dragoons. Perhaps I'll buy a set of Polish or Cossack casualties to mix in. For now, I have basecoated only half of the models, the rest I'm going to give Russian hats at least, when my new Green Stuff arrives.

Anyway, I've never done anything in 15mm, so this will be a good exercise. It can also help to determine what style of painting in terms of the proper balance between detail and speed. Moreover, I will have finished these essential accessories immediately, rather than as an afterthought which will be used unpainted for many games to come.

Since the same is true for the buildings, I also began making the bases for two farms. The fences for these farms will be made by sticking wooden toothsticks (or nails perhaps) in the base, around which thin wire will be twisted to make wattle fencing. I still wondering whether I will glue the buildings in place or whether I'll keep them loose so that I can move the buildings inside the bases to make room for models. In any case, when placing the buildings, it seems important to make sure that there is enough space for at least one infantry base anywhere along the fences. Anyway, here are the cleaned and prepared buildings, their freshly cut bases and a rough idea of ​​how I want to position them.

Btw, just like the casualties, I am also not entirely positive about these models. The sculpts of the buildings are indeed fantastic and it doesn't surprise me that they seem to be frequently used for WW2 Eastern Front in Flames of War. However, they are cast in the hard gray resin which formerly Britannia Miniatures also used. That is totally unmanageable material and to make matters worse the models of Wargamer.pl come large blocks of excess resin below that you still have to get rid of. Also, the parts often fit poorly which each other, again because there is excess resin at the bottom of the roofs.

The problem is that you can not cut thick pieces of this kind of resin in a controlled fashion, and you can not drill in it. The only way to work with it, and get those blocks off it, is with a saw or a multi-tool. But that in turn produces clouds of toxic dust (even if you keep it wet), so you have to do it outside. But getting so much toxic dust on my balcony and my clothes and tools is also not very attractive. It has also cost me more time to get the balcony, myself and the material somewhat clean than to get all the items ready for basecoat with the multitool.
But then eventually you have some beautiful models in your hands, so it's ultimately worth it I hope.

Although Wargamer.pl metal order counters and dice in the range, for each faction, I have avoided these. The official BFAS dice I think frankly not very clear because the special symbol with some factions of the first stands for 1 and with others for 10, which makes quite a difference. In the demo games that has already led to a number of times where I at initial glance hoped that my units would win, while they were actually defeated and vice versa. Not very important in the big picture, but I still have a lot D10's from Force on Force to play with and this way I can also still save some money.

The metal order counterattacks I also ignored, because, in my view they don't have much added value are above the paper counters that you can get from the BFAS website through a PDF. These I had printed on thick paper, along with the quick reference sheet, in a print shop. That cost me € 8.45, but it still saves money when compared to the metal counters.

The next item on the list is the search for small dice to keep track of the ammunition. A BFAS unit drags a lot of 'administration' with it, with a separate tokens for the amount of ammo, casualties and orders and sometimes additional markers for special rules or moral bonuses. To minimize this, I want at least keep track of the amount of ammunition on the base of the unit itself. I want to use small dice for this for which I will make a small box in the corner of a base.

Also, I'm going to the arts & crafts shop to find additional tubes of acrylic paint in a light brown, to use on the inner grounds of the farmyards. I would like to give them a color to match the roads of Hotz Mats which will be released soon and I want to use:

Wargamer.pl soon comes out with roads, too of course, but it is yet to be seen whether they will be flexible enough.

Finally, I'm also going to buy some birches and firs go to build a few pieces of 15mm wood and also some Army Painter Jungle Tufts to buy to decorate the bases of the models.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:52 pm 

Painting takes a little longer than I had hoped, but in the end I'm quite satisfied with the result of this method.

These are the first six bases of Boyar Sons:

And a look at the rear of the base of the unit leader, which contains a little box for the 5mm D6 that keeps track of the ammunition:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next