Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Want to paint my (Erik Jönsson's) Cossacks, but...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:00 am 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

...I have no idea what colors to use. I started to paint three miniatures and I just don't like it. Still have some GW colors to use and had some red (Gore & Blood), blue (Regal) and some different browns and kaki.

First I didn't want to repaint them, but during painting I saw how bad my work was with removing mold lines, so I will still remove the moldlines and do some repainting (luckily there are only 3 painted, and other only base coated X| ).

My question(s) for Cossack players (or players who have Cossacks in their armies... Which would be almost all, right? :-D ):
1) What colors did you use and do you have an example (picture)?
Why did you use this colors?

2) The mounted Cossacks will be based randomly on the bases, but the dismounted have been put on "only spears" & "only guns" bases. Was that wrong of me? (I do like the side of it, so won't be changing it.)
And if dismounted will they only shoot with 2 bases, or are all bases counted as having spears/guns, as the Cossacks have a mixture of weapons?

Hope you guys can help me out! This will be the army I bring on the tournament in March. :D
Which is the reason I want them to be all neat & "perfectly painted".

Post subject: Re: Want to paint my (Erik Jönsson's) Cossacks, but...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:39 am 
Pachołek/Camp servant

Hi Edslave,

ad 1) You can use the images on the wargamer.pl site or the BFaS rulebook for the different sets. It shows the lower types as in typical peasant colours, tone down/pastel colours. Reds, oranges, yellows and greens are easily made from plants, blues and purple are more difficult. It also seems that the cossacks dressed up after the initial victories in the revolt, so with time they might get more colourful. Registered seem to be in uniform.
Men-at-Arms #188 Polish Armies 1569-1696 (2), by Osprey Publishing, has some info on cossacks but not much.

So, concluding, I can't give firm info, but this might help.

ad 2) As the rules only have one statline for the dismounted cossacks, I think they should be mixed, and each base can shoot.

Cheers,
Zagin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:52 am 

I have painted the Cossack skirmish box set so far, (and finally got to play a game last week). I faced similar problems myself, but found the photographs in the book and on the gallery of this forum a great help.

On the second subject first - I reasoned that the army lists showed silhouettes of figures holding either firearms or spears, and these were always based together, so that is how I based mine - three on a base holding muskets or three on a base holding spears. So I think you have done the right thing.

On colours, I use the Wargames Foundry paint system, which has a wide palette. I always use subdued hues, so I don't go for anything that looks to much llike a primary colour. So for instance, I would use Madder Red in preference to a straightforward red. I decided to include three different tyoes of dress in my force. Mainly, I thought that the clothing would have been badly worn, dirty, torn, and not much pride taken in appearance. (So barechested or linen shirts, breeches either drab, reddish browns, or black.) However, added to the mix would be finery plundered from conquered armies and plundered towns. These would be mainly worn by the commanders. (So silks, braided coats, more lavish colours, and trimmings picked out in a supplementary colour for decorative purposes.) Finally, the registered moloitsy could be given a uniform colour to represent the 'official' clothing they would wear whilst in service to the Poles - I used Bavarian Cornflower Blue as the main colour for this.

In summary, I would keep things as plain as possible and allow the standards and flags to catch the eye. I don't know if I have the right interpretation, but I am not unhappy with what I have done so far. I have tried to attach some photos.

Ralph

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:37 pm 
Pachołek/Camp servant

Hi Ralph,

Those look good. Nice peasant like. ;)
I specially like the look of the moloitsy and mounted cossacks. I think I'd like mine to look like that in general apearance, lovely.

Cheers,
Zagin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:51 pm 

Thank you, Iluzagin & Ralph Astley.

Ralph Astley, I love the colours you used, I will do something similar. 8) Thanks for the inspiration. (I will take a look in the gallery as well. ;) )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:03 pm 

Ralph's cossacks look wonderful!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:30 pm 

Painted my Cossacks! It is tabletop quality, maybe a bit minor table top, but they are done. X| With me being a perfectionist I am not very proud of it and worse for my Transylvanian Light Cavalry. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow, don't have time today. :-(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:24 pm 

Looking forward to seeing them.