Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Request for Historical Scenarios List
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:28 am 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

First, I want to thank both Tomasz and Konrad for treating me so well, let alone remembering me, at Historicon 2016. Your enthusiasm, commitment to BFaS and your attention to your customers truly helps promote the game. My plan was to only spend $100 on BFaS stuff but the two of you managed to sell me $348.00 worth of product and I already plan on buying more with my discount coupons!!!

So, to the point of this post: Does any one have a list of historical scenarios for BFaS that includes OOBs, maps, victory conditions, etc.??? Though personally I am concentrating on the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and Muscovite armies but I hope to branch out to include Cossack and Imperial forces but a list, better yet, a scenario booklet, of any of the battles fought during the period would be nice. I would also say it might help generate interest in other armies if the list of battles for certain armies is long enough.

While playing the period is definitely interesting and fun, it is always nice to play a game within a set, historical context. I might be wrong on this request but part of the reason for this post is to determine if others feel the same way and/or they have started to compile the information requested.

Until then, I hope everyone has a good week/weekend gaming.

Vince

Post subject: Re: Request for Historical Scenarios List
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:14 am 

Hi Vince! Welcome here...

I must apologize, my first reaction on:
VincentS wrote:
... My plan was to only spend $100 on BFaS stuff...

:-D X| WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :-D X|

And yes, I know what you mean with their enthusiasm. It can be worse though, combined forces of Konrad & co and existing players. :D
Okay, now that is done...

No idea about the historical scenario's. I know that more players are looking for that and we had an army list competition, won by Olofeus and Julfdi based on a historical battle.

We will get the Warzawa supplement soon! Historical battle between Sweden (& Brandenburg/Prussia) against the Commonwealth. It will come with 4 historical figures and some new miniatures representing historical regiments. That might be what you expect! I know for sure this will sell well and if it does, we could expect more like it! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:59 pm 

Looking forward to it.
Do we get a hint on release date?
(should I ask Santa for this year?)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:12 pm 

Well, it should have been released as an anniversary of the Battle of Warsaw (July 28-July 30, 1656). But there was a delay, so I do expect the pre-order somewhere next week or maybe tomorrow if we are lucky. 8-) I will see, it will come soon though, very soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:45 pm 
Pachołek/Camp servant

At their facebook page they have shown several things for this 'special' release:
- John Casimir, Kng of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
- Karl X Gustav, King of Sweden
- Friedrich Wilhelm, Elector of Brandenburg-Prussia
- Lithuanian winged hussars
- Swedish Horse Guards Regiment, including Pfalzgraf Philip von Sulzbach
- Polish Cavalry Regiment, with new pancerni and cossack style cavalry with spear
And off course a booklet with rules to fight the battle of Warsaw. No idea yet in what form, but I can't wait to get my hands on that.

They've also said that if this sells well, they allready have ideas for 5 more.

As Edslave said, expect it within a few weeks.

Cheers,
Zagin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:57 am 

Hi Edslave and thank you for the welcome though both of those gentlemen managed to get me to buy over $650 worth of stuff at Historicon 2015 and I had purchased the rulebook at Rapier 2015 a few months earlier. I am also overwhelmed by the friendliness of everyone I have met in connection with BFaS. I had also started the thread seeking historical info on the uniforms of the period.

As for the new units and book coming out, I will definitely pick up any of the Polish-Lithuanian figures/units and I may now purchase a Swedish army. Did I say army? Gulp! I hope the new book includes info and map layouts for refighting some of the more historic battles. I am sure it exists in Polish but of course I'd love to see it in English as well.

Thanks again for your reply and have a great weekend.....gaming!!!

Vince

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:32 pm 

A few years ago Caliver Books used to publish a magazine which included small obscure actions from the English Civil War, maybe this could be an opportunity to print details of obscure actions from the fringe of Europe, even if it's just a question of translating old texts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:46 am 

Along those lines I should mention here that while at Historicon a few weeks ago, I picked up a copy of "The Cossack War Against Poland 1648-1651" by Pierre Chevalier, translated by George Nafziger (originally published in 1667) and I bought it from George Nafziger himself. George is a wealth of knowledge on a variety of historical subjects and is always willing to help someone when it comes to military history. Anyway, its a soft cover, self published 60 page booklet that should prove to be an interesting read. If you are interested, here is his email and website: Email: drnafziger@yahoo.com Website: http://www.nafzigercollection.com. The booklet was $19.95. I haven't read it yet but I am sure I will garner some useful info from it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:19 am 
Fältherren

Very specific description, especially as there's serious error in second sentence ;) As far as I remember Chevelier never known Khmelnytsky and he sometimes let his fantasy take better of him.
Bohdan Khmelnytsky is an early Ukrainian hero, having raised up against the Polish overlords that abused both him and his fellow Ukrainians. He became chief of the Cossacks and led them in a 3 year war with the Tartars and Ottomans as his allies. This history was written by a Frenchman who lived in Poland at this time, knew Khmelnytsky and many of the characters in this history and, fearing an interesting and important history would be lost, sat down and wrote down what he'd seen.
Funny enough, it was very popular amongst researchers in Soviet Union :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:22 pm 

The Karelia supplement was about a particular campaign, so while the armylists are more or less historical, they are intended for use with the generic standard scenarios. However, I think many people are hoping for new scenarios which represent actual historical battles with specifically laid out terrain and forces. That might be an interesting addition to the more tournament driven gameplay we have now.