Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Good morning from a newb.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:43 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Hello all,

I'm here having picked up the latest Wargames Illustrated and from there having watched some of the available YouTube videos and looked at the website.

I'm really interested in the game for a few reasons: I've been interested in starting a 15mm army for some time, it looks like an interesting slice of history that I can research and of course, it looks like a good set of rules.

I'd be very interested in some tips on what the essentials are for getting started (especially which edition of the rules), what would be a good faction to start with (I'm leaning towards Cossacks at the moment) and also if anybody plays in the Manchester area?

I'm more of a painter than a player at the moment but I am looking for opportunities to get back into gaming (I also enjoy Bolt Action and SAGA) on a more regular basis.

Thanks all!

Post subject: Re: Good morning from a newb.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:51 am 

Welcome to the fold. I'm sure everyone will have their own suggestions, here are mine:

• While you can get by on the "Gamer's Edition" rulebook, I strongly suggest getting the full rulebook in order to fully understand the army lists (doubly so if you're interested in history since the troop types will be meaningless without it). Hopefully Wargamer will (finally) release some errata to bring the 2nd Ed rulebook in line with the GE. If you consider Transsylvanians (fun but poor), Brandenburg or Imperial (both fairly limited lists IMHO) you'll need Deluge too, adding to the (not insubstantial) cost before even buying a single figure.
  • Even if you like painting, the cossacks may not the most fun army to assemble as it's mainly infantry (usually a lot) and some wagons. I know mine has been sitting half-painted on the shelf for years while I've been painting PLC, Swedes and Russians.
  • If you enjoy painting eye-popping figures with flashy detail, PLC and Ottomans are a good choice. Other non-Western armies are mainly drab.
  • If there are no existing opponents nearby, you'll probably be looking into collecting two armies instead of only one in order to recruit new players. Picking two historical opponents is always a bonus here, if they know anything about history. You should also keep an eye on making armies that can be used with other rulesets in case that you'll not find anyone to play BFAS with.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:57 am 

Thanks Callan, that's really useful. I'm wondering if you know why Edward Woodward has four 'd's in his name?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:26 pm 

If you ever get across the Pennines, we have a few players in Scarborough, local club meets most Monday and Thursday nights at Roscoe's Bar.

Would also recommend getting more than one force so that you always have opposition available.

I already had some 30YearsWar troops that I proxy in as HRE forces or Brandenburg, but I usually field Tartars. My Tartars are mostly brown, so not much of a painting challenge.