Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:41 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Polish uniforms of the Deluge?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:51 am 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

After doing some research into polish uniforms in the 1650s, I have a few questions. If I understand correctly, the uniforms of native polish troops in the 1650s would have been based on German looks, and not like the traditional Haiduks, but then the haiduk style came back later in the century and by 1683 the style would have been of an eastern look again? Would both styles have been used for native polish troops? I got this impression after reading through the Osprey Polish Armies 1569-1696 book. I am not talking about hired mercenary troops, but the native troops raised in Poland.

Post subject: Re: Polish uniforms of the Deluge?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 am 
Fältherren

RSK112 wrote:
If I understand correctly, the uniforms of native polish troops in the 1650s would have been based on German looks

It's correct if you think about 'German' infantry, reiters and part of dragoons. Of course majority of Polish cavalry would be still dressed in 'Eastern' style, same goes with (very small at that time) contingent of Polish-Hungarian infantry. We need to remember though, that as campaigns goes, all those 'Western' troops will often dress in 'Eastern' fashion, once their original clothes were worn out and they had to supply themselves locally.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:07 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Interesting. So veteran reiter unit in PLC service might not look too different from a volunteers banner (without bows) after a long campaign?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:45 am 
Fältherren

Depends. Cavalry was usually wealthier (read: manage to steal more) so it was easier for them to have spare clothes. It was usually infantry that suffered the worse, so they will end up in rags.
Lots depends also of area of campaign. When fighting in Prussia, Livonia or Courland it was much easier to have acces to spare clothes in Western type then when fighting somewhere in Ukraine ravaged by war.
Of course we need to remember it works both way, as Czarniecki's division brought lot of Western clothes from their tourist trip to Danemark.