Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Historical Uniform Guides for Painting Miniatures
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:05 pm 
Fältherren

Some info about Muscovites:

1. New type (soldats , reiters and dragoons) – in 1661 Michał Obuchowicz, who was at that time prisoner in Moscow, noticed regiments of soldats on parade. First was dressed in green, second in red, third in purple. It is important to point out though, that they were there to meet envoys of the emperor Leopold I, so were dressed for a show. In 1667 Polish envoys in Moscow noticed five regiments of soldats: each had uniforms in different colours but all soldiers had newly-issued yellow shoes.
In general though, each soldier of ‘New Type’ troops (so soldats, dragoons and reiters) were dressed in their own clothes, so even on company level it should be total mix of colours. Main ones should be different (50?) shades of grey, brown, blue and green (all in rather grey shade, as they were cheap cloth). Same colours should be use for servant cossacks, with grey and brown being the main one.
Two ‘chosen’ regiments of infantry (one created in 1656 and one in 1657) were better equipped:
- first squadron of the first regiment – red
- second squadron of the first regiment – dark green
- first squadron of the second regiment – blue
- second squadron of the second regiment - yellow

2. Streltsy – 14 different prikaz from Palmquist are from 1674 but should give you an idea
More about it here (google translate will be useful) http://rusmilhist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/1 ... vii-c.html

In 1660 Polish spies notice that half of streltsy in Khovansky’s army were dressed in red, other half in green.

3. Boyars (sons and Dvorians) – you can use mix of colours that I suggested with Polish/Lithuanian hussars and cossack style cavalry. They were always trying to show off and take their best clothes, best weapons and best horses… Boyar sons could though use all those ‘cheap’ colours like grey and brown, as many of them were rather poor and couldn’t afford expensive clothes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:22 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

More great information here, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:26 pm 

For an example of hussars without wings (admitted over 200 years later), portraying the victory at Kircholm:

Btw, I also found this:
https://www.wingedhussarpublishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Polish-Hussars-Snippet.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:12 am 

Kadrinazi, thanks for this awesome info on Muscovite uniforms. This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Callan, thank you for the pdf on the Winged Hussars. You guys have been great.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 am 

Thanks for posting that painting, and that pdf with Winged Hussar info. : )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:56 am 
Fältherren

callan wrote:
For an example of hussars without wings (admitted over 200 years later), portraying the victory at Kircholm:

Suchodolski's paiting is full of errors and I wouldn't use it at all as sort of inspiration. If you're looking for some wingless hussars, we had Snayers' painting of battle of Kircholm:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:57 am 

To all, I just wanted to drop a quick note to say that I attended Historicon 2015 from 15 July thru 19 July, I spent a small fortune buying By Fire and Sword minis and I had a great time. I also wanted to say thank you to Tomasz, Konrad, Vaughn and the rest of the BFaS team that attended for all the help and support they showed. Honestly, I think it was the busiest booth at the convention. Since then I've been busy with work and will return to ask more questions soon. Thanks for your help and patience.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:57 pm 

Welcome to a great game and a great community! BFaS will not disappoint. As for questions, ask away! We are here to help.

Frank

http://knightrecoil.blogspot.com
http://peasantpartisan.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:59 pm 

I love how Snayer's painting shows a mixture of clothing colors (not sure i can really call them "uniforms"), and the mixture of pennants on the end of their lances. Regarding the latter, it is almost as if the winged hussars have their heraldic colors (if that's even what they called them?) posted to the end of their lance, rather than as some sort of surcoat or shield design. I have eight 28mm winged hussar figures that are currently in the process of being painted, and maybe I'll do them in mixed colors and mixed pennants.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:54 am 

Hi guys (women? or do we need a better recruiting strategy? :| ) - I have not yet find the answer nor the question on the forum. I still have bare metal Transylvanians lying around and after some other work they need some colors.

I know the (Light) Székely uses a lot of reds (thank you Kadrinazi). For the Comitatus and Household Cavalry different colors; I guess need to mix up some yellow, red, green, blue, maybe brown for the cheaper clothing...
With the search for colors I check some other blogs of players to get inspiration (although I have enough fantasy, I am terrible at choosing a color palette as I am never happy with the choice I make X| ). There I noticed some people coloring the lances in a base color with rings of another color.

I mean like this:

Is there a historical source about that, or is this just an artistic touch of our forum member sowabud?

http://forum.oim.wargamer.pl/viewtopic.php?lang=en&f=17&t=1146&start=70

Other question; concerning the banners you get with the Household Cavalry; are these for both Enlisted and regular Household Cavalry, or is it just one of the two who uses these? :blush:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next