Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Mercenary Banner Flags
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:39 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

After painting more and more Reiters for different nationalities :) ... I was starting to think of just standardizing a few banners of generic Reiters for any of the nationalities (except ruskie) ... problem is the flags ... I love adding flags ... but that limits me. Looking at the Merc Flag pack being sent ... was wondering if I chose those ... these would be suitable for Swede or Polish Reiter banners? Meaning one flag ...and I could use it for either since its just a Merc banner? IF so ... any flags from the Merc pack to avoid?

thanks!
Kato

Post subject: Re: Mercenary Banner Flags
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 pm 
Sekretarz królewski/Royal secretary

All should be fine for Swedes, for the rest of armies please just avoid few with CGR monogram (Carolus Gustavus Rex)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:24 pm 

Glorfindel wrote:
All should be fine for Swedes, for the rest of armies please just avoid few with CGR monogram (Carolus Gustavus Rex)

You rock. Thanks! My Polish, Swedes, BB and everyone else thank you!@

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:10 pm 

you can partially differentiate by faith.

e.g. "Gott mit uns" in German is typical for protestants: "Gott mit uns" (or in contemporary early new German writing rather "Gott mitt uns") is usually protestant, as the use of German language for faith matters was a key differentiation versus the catholics: They would use latin and latin-ish (compare "deus lo vult" of the crusades, albeit earlier).
Mercs recruited in the regions closer to the conflict (northern/northeastern Germany, Prussia, Baltic Germans) are usually owned by protestant nobles.

While in general this is all but clear cut, and both mercs and officers do switch sides, a protestant banner for mercs serving catholics souvereigns (HRR, Poland) would be rather uncommon; protestant fiefdoms and duchies in the HRR would only participate in "empire wars" (Reichskriege), e.g. against the Osmans or France, but not in wars that served Austrian interest. They'd rather seek Brandenburg or Danish service, both protestant, too.

Gott mit uns, in German established militarily by Gustav II Adolf as protestant battle call, was adopted by the protestant Brandenburg (later Prussia) and remained a key military chant/call/phrase in Germany well into the 20th century, as Prussia remained the coining country for the new nation state. You'll find it e.g. on Wehrmacht belt buckles.

Concerning flags again, many merc flags were using the colors of the arms of the owner, rarely a certain fief, so there is a large degree of freedom here.