Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Bases
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:06 am 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

I would like to do my bases like the picture in the rulebook. Any ideas? I was think cover with wood filler, base coat dark brown, then dry brush light brown. Then I would add spots of white PVA glue and then add static grass.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

iconKOZ iconRON iconRUS iconTAT iconTUR

Post subject: Re: Bases
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 am 

For me, it is most important that the basing style matches the surface you will most likely be playing on.

I play on grassmats and on BFAS battlemats, so I prefer to just cover the entire base in static grass and then add further tufts and flowers. It saves a lot of time because I can just skip the phase of adding any sand or wood filler before painting. I also think it looks appropriate for the grassy steppe battlefields of Eastern Europe. And it matches the playing surfaces very well, so the bases almost blend in to them.

Your outlined method below sounds fine as well though. I would only substitute wood filler for fine sand, but that's no biggie. Remember that phase one, the application of the wood filler/sand, does not have to be very neat or cover 100% of the base, because you can just cover any gaps with the static grass.

Also, in my experience from when I do bases like that for other games, even though I intend to keep the static grass very sparse, it always ends up covering more surface than I planned, just because when I apply a drop of glue from the bottle and then dab it out with an old brush, it tends to spread more than I planned. Just something to pay attention to, depending on what % of coverage you want.

Lastly, there's a lot of guides online to different basing styles. Worth searching for to find something that suits you.

Post subject: Re: Bases
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:23 pm 

While the all-flock method can look good in some cases, there is also the issue of masking the height difference from the base surface to the top of the figure base. While I used Polyfilla for more years than I care to remember, I've now found that covering the base in PVA and dipping in sand is much faster and gives an equally pleasing result. Cover it with a wash of Woodland Scenics Earth Undercoat and a layer of drybrush and you're ready to add whatever you want on top.

As for matching the tabletop terrain, gamers these days are spoilt for choice compared to the traditional felt mat. I got a wonderful printed snow cloth mat at Salute, while my gaming buddy got a desert one (admittedly not so useful for BFAS). Vinyl and neoprene options are also available and more durable. This means the days of the ubiquitous grass-green (or – horrors – billiard-table emerald green or even dark Brunswick green) battlefield are numbered. However this also means new challenges on how to base your figures. My approach is to choose a different theme for each faction – green grass for PLC and Swedes, yellow steppe grass for cossacks and (soon) snow for Muscovites. Then at least one of the sides should look natural in their "home" terrain.