Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Defend the village.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:20 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Hi guys I use a Prussian territorial defence skirmish force. I have played two really enjoyable games against a Transylvania skirmish force . First game suffered a strategic defeat then a tactical defeat. Basically I put my Musketeers in the buildings with Spanish muskets. Is this the best choice to put in the village rather than my regular dragoons who's morale is better but have half muskets? I found even in a building the amount of arrows coming at my guys meant I lost bases and took strength losses due to failed morale tests. Any advice would be great?
Cheers Simon

Post subject: Re: Defend the village.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:34 pm 

I am a little bit surprised really. You do know you have defense 6 while being in a building and cavalry units attacking (infantry) units in a building get a penalty (-2 Skill) assuming you had the musketeers given a Defense order?
Besides that, the Spanish muskets have a huge range and Transylvanians almost no armor... :|

I would place the musketeers in the buildings too, with defense order. If there are enough buildings some Dragoons as well (also with defense order).
Which lists were you playing?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:20 pm 

Mine was the Prussian Territorial Defence militia against the Transylvania combat patrol. I realise we are both new me and my brother and somehow we thought the buildings were armour 4 so it should be 6 in a building? That would explain why it seemed strange. Thank you at least I know now. We even read the sections on buildings and both missed it! Well we are still learning its the first time we have used buildings.
Simon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:03 pm 
Towarzysz/Companion

Please also remember, that cavalry attacking occupied building (with infantry with defence order) has skill roll with -2 and fight result also -2.

Мы - сотрудники КОМКОНа-2. (...) Нам одно не разрешается: недооценить опасность. И если в нашем доме вдруг завоняло серой, мы просто обязаны предположить, что где-то рядом объявился черт с рогами, и принять соответствующие меры вплоть до организации производства святой воды в промышленных масштабах!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:53 pm 

When infantry (& artillery) units are within the "build up area" (the area set up with houses) they receive an armor of 4. When infantry units occupy buildings it becomes 6.
When you do play with buildings I recommend keeping an eye on the pages 102 & 103 of the (old) rulebook. Also page 76 (old rulebook), which explains the -2 Skill modifier Leszczyc and I mentioned.

I know - it is hard to know all the rules, but playing the game, making mistakes and asking questions here will make you better. ;) Good luck next game! I guess we will have to give some tips to your brother next time. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:40 am 

Thank you for all your help! We tend to find we keep missing bits but then get the correct way of doing things on here. So thank you. To be honest he doesn't need more help as he keeps beating me!
Cheers Simon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:53 am 

Pugh1 wrote:
To be honest he doesn't need more help as he keeps beating me!

That will now change of course. ;)