Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Battle group 1648-1660 (pdf)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 am 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Household Infantry is blue. But that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:12 am 

My personal painting guide for the Transylvanians is as below.

AoT refers to 'The Army of Transylvania 1559 - 1690' by Gyozo Somogyi. I have used this book and the info and pictures in the Deluge supplement to develop this painting guide. If there is no reference listed below, then the info has probably come from the Deluge supplement. The pictures in AoT for some of the troop types (e.g. artillery) are probably only examples (rather than a uniform per se).

I am certainly not an authoritative source for Transylvanians, but I needed a plan so used what I have … !

Feudal Cavalry / Infantry
Comitatus Cavalry = Private banners (levy of nobility). Probably a mix of clothing (no uniform). Various attire (AoT, p.35, 38-39). Wargamer has painted in various colours (i.e. no uniform).
Chimney (Gate) Cavalry = Private banners (levy of nobility). Probably a mix of clothing (no uniform).
Gate Infantry (Pike and Shot) = Feudal levy. Probably a mix of poor quality clothing (no uniform).

Household Cavalry / Infantry
Household Cavalry = 'Permanent' mercenaries. Wargamer has painted in a mix of mostly red and blue.
Light Household Cavalry = 'Permanent' mercenaries. Red with blue trim (AoT, p.22). Green with red trim (AoT, p.23). Red with purple sash and trim and grey wolf pelts (AoT, p.25).
Household Infantry = Darabonts (Trabants), armed with rifles and clothed in blue uniforms with red sash and buttons (AoT, p.26-27). Another possibility is green uniformed rifleman, who also formed a 'lifeguard'.

Enlisted Cavalry
Enlisted Lancers = Temporary forces. Probably no uniform?
Enlisted Light Cavalry = Temporary forces. Probably no uniform?

Szekelys
Szekely Cavalry = Uniforms were mostly red, with different coloured trim / sash (AoT, p.46-48).
Light Szekely Cavalry = Uniforms were mostly red.
Mounted Szekely = Uniforms were mostly red.
Szekely (Pike and Shot) = Some infantry ("red footmen") wore red uniforms (AoT, p.49, 51). The poorest served in any cloth they had (AoT, p.63).

Other
Haiduks = Mix of colours (e.g. blue, red, black, white, green) with sheepskin cloaks (AoT, p.56-58). Wargamer has painted in various colours (i.e. no uniform).
Town Infantry = Uniformly dressed and armed. Cloth colours included red, green, blue or white.
Saxon Infantry = Traditional uniform was black with red sash and hat (AoT, p.53). When supply of black ran out, blue and green were also used (AoT, p.54).
Kurtany = Mostly rustic browns and greens, with some other muted colours (e.g blue).
Seimeni = Wargamer has painted in various colours, but predominantly red.
Artillery = Blue with red trim (AoT, p.28).

Feedback mostly definitely welcome. :)

P.

iconTRA iconPRU iconTUR iconRON iconKOZ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:44 pm 

The same author of AoT has published a second book "Warriors of the Hungarian Frontier 1526-1686". There on page 83 uniforms of cavalry squadrons of the Batthyány Band in the 1630s. Which gives you 7 different uniforms. They pretty much look like Gate/Chimney Cavalry. All have red capes.

But these are Royal Hungarians not Transylvanians.