Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transylvanian army in iconography and descriptions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:17 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

THE TAXED CITIES

While only Kolozsvár (Klausenburg) was of similar importance as the larger saxon cities of all the cities of Transylvania, the mining cities and the smaller or larger markets of the Counties and the Székely where also ordered to the same compulsory military service as the Saxons.
The taxed cities, which where named “loca taxalia” after the municipal taxes which where paid in money, had to equip with rifles armed Darabonts (Trabants).
The larger settlements as Kolozsvár (Klausenburg), Várad 8Wardstein), or Marosvásárhely 8Neumarkt am Mieresch) sometimes had to equip 2000 men while by lesser settlements this number rarely excelled 50.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:08 am 

The Mercenary Army

THE FORMATIONS OF THE MERCENARIES

The challenges of the revolution of the european warfare not only forced the rulers of Transylvania to the modernization of the traditional organization of the army but also made necessary the recruitment of an experienced and better equipped and perhaps permanent army of mercenaries.
Those troops where mainly organized around the principal court [household].

The Household Cavalry
Armed with lances this 600 men strong troop of horsemen was the earliest unit if the mercenariy formations of the Principality of Transylvania and was seen as elite unit of the Cavalry of Transylvania. Because of the principles of its organization they can be seen as immediate predecessor of the household hussars of the kings of the House of Jagillo from the beginning of the 16th century. In the 16th century those soldiers where employed as mercenaries mainly by high ranking members of the household.
At the beginning of the 17th century Prince Gábor (Gabriel) Báthori was the first who included warriors in the troops of the household by procuration with the captains of the Haiduks. Bethlen continued this practice and had in service, besides his Lancers, four- to five hundred mounted Haiduks. Because of the increasing numbers, the scope of the household service increased also so that it became impossible to have stationed the whole unit at full strength at the principal residence. In Transylvania, at the end of the rule of Gábor (Gabriel) Bethlen the permanent field army emerged out of the housheold army. So it came that the princes of the mid-third of the 17th century had also permanently armed, beside their 600 soldiers, nearly 2000 horsemen. In the 1650s the force level increased and Prince György (Georg) II: Rákóczi formed cavalry armed with carbines, besides those armed with lances.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:35 pm 
Fältherren

Two Hungarians from The Rålamb Costume Book (1657)
http://ds.kb.se/?mapp=5&fil=draktbok/119
http://ds.kb.se/?mapp=5&fil=draktbok/120

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:18 pm 

Good to see! 8)

Somehow I missed before ... lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:41 pm 

Household Infantry
This five to six hundred men unit of Darabonts (Trabants), armed with rifles and clothed in blue uniforms, was formed in the mid 16th century. The reason for their forming was obvious: Transylvania also needed Infantrymen which where armed with adequate firearms and being able to use them skillfully in the correct battle formations. Beside this the Household Infantry had to perform several other duties. Their soldiers formed the Palace Guard of Gyulefehérvár (Karlsburg) as well of helping in firefighting and in emergencies fulfilled police duties outside of the capital. Although it wasn't part of their daily duties they became notorious in the history of Transylvania that they where helpful several times in settling the scores with the opposition.
During the second crisis of power between 1657 and 1662 the Household Infantry ceased to exist in its previous form. Although Prince Mihály (Michael) I: Apafi reformed the Household Infantry, the hungarian infantrymen with a strength of one or two battalions at most and clothed in blue uniforms didn't play a similar role in the military if Transylvania as their predecessors anymore. Even the larger part of the lifeguard at the court consisted of german soldiers.

The Riflemen in green Uniform
György (Georg) I. Rákóczi also formed a lifeguard out of the personal military of his estates. (In the 17th century it was the family Rákóczi which let settling the largest number of personal Haiduks in their areal. This soldiers, similar to the inhabitants of the Haiduk cities, where granted each one estate as exchange for their military duties, but their lesser rights where only granted by the respective master of the estate). Prince György (Georg) I. Rákóczi, a passionate hunter, ordered a registration of the best clay pigeon riflemen in all of his territory, clothed them in green uniforms and obliged them to duty at his court. Beside the duty in his lifeguard this riflemen where used for the defense and siege of castles and cities.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:11 am 

Good to read that last post, thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:44 pm 

There are two uniform plates for the Blue Darabonts in Gyozo Somogyi's "The Army of Transylvania 1159 - 1690". They look great with their dark blue uniforms, feathered caps and the axes hanging from their belts. This book is mostly pictures so I tried to find some info on them on the internet, but found almost nothing. Thanks BlackLegion for the info.

There is also one picture of a green rifleman from the Kovar region. For a mostly Napoleonic wargamer like me, this green rifleman uniform is also very iconic.

Not sure how I can mix these into my Transylvanian Division, but I would love to try.

P.

iconTRA iconTUR iconRON iconKOZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:05 pm 

There is a bit more about Praesidial troops and artillery. Also on tactics. I have yet top translate it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:17 pm 

In the Transylvanian Pillaging Raid boxes there are included several streamers for the lances. As far as i know most of the Transylvanian streamers where red but those in the box are all two coloured.
The Combat Skirmish Set didn't have any streamers so i guess they are used to distinguish Enlisted Lancers from Household Lancers?
Also on each sheet with the streamers there is one flag in the colour of the streamers. I wonder how tu use them as usually each Banner has an ensign if it consists of at least 3 bases. But Transylvanian Banners only consist of two bases each and there is no dedicated ensign model (only for commanders bases).

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:20 am 
Fältherren

Swedish army besieging Brno in 1645, few allied Transylvanians can be seen here and there :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next