Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thinking of starting a Transylvanian army
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 pm 
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

Leszczyc wrote:
Mounted haiduks are deffinitely more mobile. But Seimini's are veterans and have better guns with them, moreover they special morale rule makes them harder to beat. I remember a game in which I was defending a village and seimini shooted out many of my troops IN BUILDINGS!

The skill 5 and a thought of eight bases does make you curl your toes and imagine....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 pm 

Well Transylvanians seem to be a poor man's Poles :) Glasshammers. Set up your charges carefully and then pray they get through because you don't have a second chance with such a low number of Command Points, low morale and low discipline.

Currently building a Pillaging Raid force too :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:36 am 

I've always thought of Ottomans as poor mans Poles.
Sipahi are like cossacks, but worse and same goes for most of the support options...
But they are more numerous.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 pm 

I think with the Pillaging Raid you just have to go full FSP with them. After all it's just 7FSP full strength. And with just 2 COmmand Points for the Föispan you need the 2nd Commander.
The force is quite flexible. To flexible somehow. So I'm unsure what to take. Haiduks or Mounted Szekelys? Kurtany or Szekely Light Cavalry?

How about:

7 FSP
1 Föispan (2 Command Points)
1 Lieutenant (1 Command Point)
4 x Enlisted Lancers
4 x Comitatus Cavalry
4 x Mounted Haiduks
4 x Light Szekely Cavalry
8 x Seimeni (or 4 x Seimeni and 4 x Mounted Szekelys)

or
7 FSP
4 x Enlisted Lancers
8 x Comitatus Cavalry
6 x Light Szekely Cavalry or Kurtany
4 x Mounted Szekelys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:21 pm 

From the USA Retailer/Group :)

Quote:
Alright guys. This is the last list we need to cover. This list is the Polish-Transylvanian Skirmish List of November 1653. In order for this list to count as Transylvanian it needs to have more Transylvanians than Polish. So that is what we will do. This force is awesome but a bit of a glass cannon. You can win big or lose big with this force. So hit fast, hit first, and hit hardest. Let’s take a look and see what we get below.

I like to take this list at FSP 10. I also substitute in 4 light Szekely in for the 3 base Cossack style cavalry on the initial list. I also take Mihaly Mikes de Zapolya. He is excellent as he is a 2 command sub-commander and you will need him to control this rowdy force. So for our FSP 10 points what do we get? You get 3 Bases of Elite Cossack Style Cavalry with spears, 6 Bases of Cossack Style Cavalry, 2 units of 4 Light Szekely Cavalry, 6 Bases of Szekely Cavalry. Due to the rules, I need to run the Light Szekely in 2 groups of 4 and the regular Szekely as a block of 6. This is fine for me as I plan to use the Szekely as the main formation to hammer my opponent with. These guys also partner up well with the Elite Cossacks with Spears. So formation wise I have Mihaley command and stick with the 2 Light Szekely Formations and then I have Szemberk command the 3 Elite Cossack, the formation of 6 Cossack style, and the 6 base formation of Szekely.

As you can see, I planned this force to have a command point for every formation I plan to run. Also the larger 6 bases formations add in +1 morale! The advantages of this army are obvious. You have multiple units with lances. Also your cavalry all additionally move +20cm. Also swimming. Your Cossack Style Cavalry and Light Szekely can swim. So for this force I always try to take the river scenarios. This way you can pick your charge choke points and you can cross with almost all of your force to flank and bottle neck the enemy. The disadvantage for this army is obviously the robbers special rule and the poor tactical discipline. The robbers rule is slightly offset by the fact you have lances and strike first. So hit first and hit fast and use your additional move of +20 cm to set the pace for this army and fight the battles of your choosing and to your advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:35 pm 
Namiestnik

BlackLegion wrote:
I think with the Pillaging Raid you just have to go full FSP with them. After all it's just 7FSP full strength. And with just 2 COmmand Points for the Föispan you need the 2nd Commander.
The force is quite flexible. To flexible somehow. So I'm unsure what to take. Haiduks or Mounted Szekelys? Kurtany or Szekely Light Cavalry?

How about:

7 FSP
4 x Enlisted Lancers
4 x Comitatus Cavalry
4 x Mounted Haiduks
4 x Light Szekely Cavalry
8 x Seimeni (or 4 x Seimeni and 4 x Mounted Szekelys)

or
7 FSP
4 x Enlisted Lancers
8 x Comitatus Cavalry
6 x Light Szekely Cavalry or Kurtany
4 x Mounted Szekelys

I think the second list is much stronger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:38 am 

the list I've used the most, quite successfully is the pillaging raid, the Combat patrol is nice and highly skilled but I have found it lacks the punch to hurt people as effectively as the Pillaging force.

Commander
Foispan
4 Enlisted Lancers
8 Comitatus (keep them in one block with the Foispan attached :) even though they are skill 3 the numbers are good :))
4 Haiduks
4 Light Szekeley
4 Mounted Szekeley

It has some punchy lance armed units, haiduks are very solid infantry for holding stuff, mounted szekeley are decent for ambushes or to add more infantry for some of the more "hold" type scenarios

The mixed force from armies is probably the most powerful Transylvanian force you will play, but at 13FSP could be a bit "big".

And at Task Force Level the Transylvanians are awesome, great fun to play and have a few extra tricks with the differing troop types.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:00 pm 

Yup I now have minis for the combat and pillage so I will give both a whirl! Im actually really interested in eventually going to use the Polish /Trans list in Armies

nelly wrote:
the list I've used the most, quite successfully is the pillaging raid, the Combat patrol is nice and highly skilled but I have found it lacks the punch to hurt people as effectively as the Pillaging force.

Commander
Foispan
4 Enlisted Lancers
8 Comitatus (keep them in one block with the Foispan attached :) even though they are skill 3 the numbers are good :))
4 Haiduks
4 Light Szekeley
4 Mounted Szekeley

It has some punchy lance armed units, haiduks are very solid infantry for holding stuff, mounted szekeley are decent for ambushes or to add more infantry for some of the more "hold" type scenarios

The mixed force from armies is probably the most powerful Transylvanian force you will play, but at 13FSP could be a bit "big".

And at Task Force Level the Transylvanians are awesome, great fun to play and have a few extra tricks with the differing troop types.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:58 am 

nelly wrote:

Commander
Foispan
4 Enlisted Lancers
4 Haiduks
4 Light Szekeley
4 Mounted Szekeley

Attaching the Föispán to the Comitatus Cavalry will prevent him from giving any orders to the other units. Is that wise? Better to buy a Lieutenant and use him for the Comitatus Cavalry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:05 am 

BlackLegion wrote:
nelly wrote:

Commander
Foispan
4 Enlisted Lancers
4 Haiduks
4 Light Szekeley
4 Mounted Szekeley

Attaching the Föispán to the Comitatus Cavalry will prevent him from giving any orders to the other units. Is that wise? Better to buy a Lieutenant and use him for the Comitatus Cavalry.

The lieutenant is what I meant, the one point chap