Ogniem i Mieczem - By Fire and Sword

Historyczna Gra Strategiczna - Historical Wargame
Dzisiaj jest wt lis 21, 2017 12:58 am

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]

Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 3 ] 
Autor Wiadomość
 Tytuł: Siege of Vienna
Ciura obozowy/Camp follower

The school history department were looking at the Siege of Warsaw scenario book and immediately asked "how difficult would it be to put together a Siege of Vienna" as a school project. I told them I'd think about it.
Having thought about it, has anyone attempted it themselves? and if so can you give any advice?
If not, can anyone give any advice anyway?

Thanks in advance Gary

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
 Tytuł: Re: Siege of Vienna
Awatar użytkownika

I assume you are talking about the Battle of Vienna in 1683, not the sieges in 1529 or 1485. As the historians from Wargamer have stated here previously, western uniforms changed quite a bit between the time period in BFAS and the 1680s and the official Imperial figures are not really suitable, so you would need to look elsewhere for "Wars of the Grand Alliance" style figures.

Then there is the prospect of gaming sieges, which is more suited as a campaign boardgame as the besiegement lasted more than two months. Miniatures games usually center on actions outside the walls or just the final assault. Since the decisive action was the battle on 12 September you could get away without siege rules, using only the walls mostly for decoration. However it was a huge battle with almost 250,000 men, which is way outside the scope of BFAS Division level. So until Wargamer releases Level III/IV rules you must either limit yourself to minor parts of the action, scale down the size of the battle ("bathtubbing") or find another ruleset of more epic scale. Still, people have attempted to recrate it in miniatures several times.

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
 Tytuł: Re: Siege of Vienna

Thank you.
Looking at illustrations although the western foot are very different for 1683, quite a few of the horse would not be so distinctive in 15mm.
Not sure how accurate the illustrations are, but Polish forces look very similar to earlier troops, and include not only Hussars, but Tartars with field signs on their hats. So I haven't written it off entirely. Not yet anyway.
But since I haven't found much on an order of battle yet I'm not sure on how many western troops took an active role in the relief action.
I'm aware that the action was somewhat disjointed, with some Turks still looking to assault the city whilst the joint relief force attacked the others, although this looks like a two pronged assault? So potentially three (simultaneous) actions?

Odpowiedz z cytatem  
Nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 3 ] 

Strefa czasowa UTC+1godz. [letni]